Recommended chuck size

CarlosA

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
What size chuck do you guys running the 100 series 12" lathes recommend? I recently got a mk3a 12x36 that came with a worn out 5" chuck that was poorly fitted to the 6" faceplate. I am looking to pick up a 3 & 4 jaw chuck either new or used, but not entirely sure what the best overall size would be to swing on this machine. It has a 1 HP motor.

I have a 10" chuck on my 12 3/4" lathe and like it. Word on the street is that most people like a 6" chuck for general use though.

6" would be about right for a 3 jaw chuck, perhaps 8 or 10" for a 4 jaw.

Since I bought my Atlas 12x36 3996 in 1981, I have had an 8" 4-Jaw and a 6" 3-Jaw. Actually, I have two of the latter, one a light duty factory chuck and the other a Pratt-Bernerd Buck clone. I bought the Pratt a few months after I bought the lathe and it normally stays on the spindle unless I have some reason to use the light one, the 4-Jaw, collets, dead center, Jacobs, etc.

Anyway, short answer is 6" three jaw for most work and 8" 4 Jaw for when you need a 4-Jaw.

Be sure to consider the max spindle speed of a chuck before buying. You may get the largest chuck that will fit the swing over saddle but may limit your option of spindle speed. Example the bison (7-853-1036) is a 10" 4 jaw but is limited to 1500rpm.

On my 12" Clausing 5914 I started out with 8" 4 jaw, and added 6" 3-jaw and ER collet chuck (32 or 40). The 6" 3J and ERs get used the most, the 4J comes out when I need the extra support and accuracy. Its fairly heavy so I try to minimize changeovers with it.

Thanks everyone ... 8" 4 jaw and 6" 3 jaw sounds like a nice combination. I might have a far bigger issue with this machine before I am buying any chucks ... found that it is flat worn out compared to other old machines i`ve had over the years - need to figure out if its worth fixing.

What is worn out about it?

Back