Recommended Clamps For Kurt Vise

Omg. I already feel guilty buying the vise for myself when I haven't done any Christmas shopping for my kids yet, lol. Maybe I'll ask Santa to give me this for Christmas ;-)
Just give one of the kids the vise and make the holdowns for another. Then just borrow them and don’t give back.;)just like my 6yr old does every time he comes in the garage:confused:

That's funny Cadillac! I've tried to give my Dad his old hammer back. He just grins & says, "Son, you've had it for 45 years - my as well keep it."

As Eddyde said, I would make your own. I needed many of these at work and made a whole batch from some bar stock. I find these much better than the typical hold down hardware because they are far more compact and don't tie the hardware up.

Nick

IMG_6190.JPG

As Eddyde said, I would make your own. I needed many of these at work and made a whole batch from some bar stock. I find these much better than the typical hold down hardware because they are far more compact and don't tie the hardware up.

Nick
Thanks for the pic Nick! Pic Nick, lol ;-)

I made some like Nick's, but used allen head screws & counter-bored the hold downs so the screw heads are flush with the top of each hold down. I thought I was making them look "nice" but that was a mistake -- swarf fills the allen head and also gets between the screw head and counter bore pocket. Something to keep in mind if you make your own.

I made some like Nick's, but used allen head screws & counter-bored the hold downs so the screw heads are flush with the top of each hold down. I thought I was making them look "nice" but that was a mistake -- swarf fills the allen head and also gets between the screw head and counter bore pocket. Something to keep in mind if you make your own.
Thank you , Homebrewed, for the tip :)

Perhaps some small rectangle cuts of flexible magnet strips to cover the tops of your clamps would help. Maybe they'll be just strong enough to hold themselves in place but weak enough to allow you to brush the chips off the top of them.

Nick

Perhaps some small rectangle cuts of flexible magnet strips to cover the tops of your clamps would help. Maybe they'll be just strong enough to hold themselves in place but weak enough to allow you to brush the chips off the top of them.

That might work, maybe not -- I made the hold downs out of 6061 aluminum, so the force would just be between the bolt head and magnet strip. Still, it might be sufficient. Magnetic strips can be had in a Halbach configuration, which minimizes the magnetic field on one side -- helpful to avoid attracting ferrous swarf.

I have to agree. Make a couple toe clamps. You have the tools for that.

Back