(recommended minimum)

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So, I'm just kinda dreaming about what I might do in my shop when I get all my other bills paid off and I was looking at the PM-940 models. Does anybody know why there's a 12" recommended minimum distance away from the wall on these machines? Is that just to access the electrical box, or is there some kind of operational requirement for the space?

Thanks,

John

The PM-940 models have their electrical box mounted to the back of the mill, it is to allow access so the door can be swung open. This also often seen with lathes. The other factor would be if there is a manual Z axis handle mounted on the column, like on the 932. Another consideration is cleaning swarf from behind the mill. Not aware of any other operational limitations with regard to table or head travel.

Okay, that's what I thought. It could always be put on leveling casters to facilitate moving away from the wall....

John

I think I'd skip the casters and if it came up that I had to access the electrical, (not very likely) I'd just wiggle it out some. I'm guessing you are real tight on space. Another option might be to set it diagonally in a corner. Mock it up out of cardboard boxes and see what works best.

Thanks, like I said I'm just dreaming at this point. But yes, my garage/shop is a 1 car affair with no corners utilize (garage door on one end and man doors at the other two corners.

Right now I have my CNC project on one side and my lathe project on the other and would like to keep the space between clear so yes, definteily need to go against the wall. If I had a corner I'd consider a knee mill but that would definitely take too much space.

I'm 6'3" so the extra height from casters would be a good thing, could always make a wider base to compensate for the raised CG.

John

I just received my PM-940V. I also have a small shop and need the mill to be able to move if necessary. I'm in the process of mounting the mill on a combination of casters and pads. The attached SolidWorks picture is of the base design showing the casters mounted on 6" channel. I got the casters from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BHMS3VR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The casters are the swivel type. I designed a way of fixing the two rear ones so most of the time the mill would just be steered using the front two. The swivel lock is designed such that I could release the lock if needed. That way I can move the mill sideways. Each caster is mounted on a piece of 5/16" thick steel which is under the channel. I've done a FEA analysis on the channel design and the maximum stress (von Mises) is about 5400 psi, well below yield strength of steel. Maximum displacement of the mount is less than .005"

There will be mounting pads in the standard location (not yet shown in the model). I will be able to raise the mill using the pads to disable the casters.

The electrical box on the rear of the mill is probably the reason for the 12 inches. I think you are correct, putting the mill on casters will allow access yet keep the mill as far back as possible most of the time.

Base design pic 001.jpg

Base channel FEA pic 002.jpg

Base channel FEA pic 001.jpg

Nice, thanks for doing the engineering work:encourage:

John

Back