Recommended small hole gauge set?

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Recently bought a PEC small hole gauge set that I'm returning. Besides one of the tools being damaged, I wasn't too impressed with the fit and finish. Truly surprised, as I do have some PEC stuff and it's been pretty good. Are there any decent inexpensive small hole gauge sets that you have and recommend?

Mitutoyo is also good. Yuasa is the same tool, just rebranded.

Do you recommend the full or half ball type?

In use, for me, 90 percent full and 10 percent half.

Thanks. Off looking for full ball bore gauges... Anything special I should look out for? I mean besides something like this:
IMG_20200802_150441.jpg
eBay listings rarely post the end view of the bore gauges...

Last edited:
If you need a set , I think I have a few . :)

For small holes, I will only use pin gauges. Recently purchased a new one on Amazon, 0.251 to 0.500 set. Planning on a new set smaller and larger than that one. Only ever purchase a range around what I needed at the time before.

For small holes, I will only use pin gauges. Recently purchased a new one on Amazon, 0.251 to 0.500 set. Planning on a new set smaller and larger than that one. Only ever purchase a range around what I needed at the time before.
I've been looking at pin gauges for a while. At some times they are just what you need, at others, they just take up space. Good idea to just buy sub sets as needed.

I've been looking at pin gauges for a while. At some times they are just what you need, at others, they just take up space. Good idea to just buy sub sets as needed.

You can buy individual pins on Amazon for as little as $5.00 each. I purchased the set (0.251"-0.500") off Amazon for $108. Free shipping with Prime. I am very pleased with the set and will be ordering the 0.061"-0.250" for $55 and the 0.500"-0.625" set later. My goal is to have up to 0.750" eventually.

Back