Recommended tool list for HF 7 x 12 lathe

D

Douglasr

Forum Guest
Register Today
Here's one for the pros, can you provide a recommend tool list (by priority) for a newbie with a HF 7 x 12 lathe

Here is what I mostly use on mine:

The starter kit from Little Machine Shop is a great way to get turning quickly. I have mixed emotions about the A2Z CNC toolpost but it does work quite well. I prefer it's parting tool holder to the aloris type.

I would also grab a few blank HSS tool bits.

4 jaw chuck.

Calipers and a starter micrometer.

Spare 80 tooth gear and fuses. (or the spare parts kit for the lathe from LMS.)

The rest as funds allow (some can be made but if you are just starting, that is problem until you get some practice):

Faceplate

I love my ER32 collet holder (the face mounting one) but it is pricey. arceurotrade.co.uk has a cheaper one but the logsitics of ordering from them from US is problematic.

their tailstock die holder is well worth picking up (and maybe the tap follower.) I use mine a lot.

Angle gauge (protractor).

Thread pitch gauge and fishtail threading gauge.

Clamp type knurling tool.

A few extra tool holders for the tool post.

Dead center for headstock and tailstock (#2 and #3)

Spindle crank handle

Dial gauge and magnetic base.

Maybe the steadyrest and follower (I have never actually used mine)

Chip brushes.

Taps, dies and drill bits.

Last edited:
I got my 7 x 10 about a year ago on Kijiji for $400 it was fairly new and never set up.
It came with nothing just the basic lathe and a quick change tool post.
I took about 6 months before I completely rebuilt the lathe and set it up properly.
I slowly aquired many items as $ would permit.
some of the fun is making tools are equipment as you need them or making changes to the lathe itself.

I found a new complete set of change gears on Ebay for $20.
also snagged a few deals on C/G and Kijiji to set up the rest of the shop like a tooling grinder , drill press, air compressor etc.

LMS, Grizzly H/F and others a great sources for parts or new tooling items.

Last edited:
Back