Recursive Tool Building

777Steven

Registered
Registered
I am wondering, if there are any tools that can make all of their own parts?
I'm especially interested if this is possible for metal lathes

777Steven,

For interest/fun check-out the 7-book series from Dave Gingery.
http://gingerybookstore.com/

He repeats the adage that the lathe is the only machine tool that can replicate (or build) itself.

He starts with a charcoal foundry to melt and cast aluminum. That is used to make a lathe (with little more than a power drill and files). Those are then used to make a metal shaper, then a milling machine, drill press and dividing head. Along the way he discusses and shows scraping and many other techniques.

One of my favourite quotes is about "hand scraping" from his metal lathe book:

"This simple process has been referred to as the "Art of Hand Scraping". It is well to remember that knowledge is generally passed on reluctantly. Those that know how want to maintain their superior position so they always try to make it as difficult as possible. It's up to you to discover the secret and avoid the diversions that such people want to set in your way"

He then goes thru a two-page quick and dirty basics of scraping and ends the section with:

"Like most hand skills, it requires only an understanding of the principle and a little practice. Call it an art if you want to, but if it is, [then] the guy who operates the road grader is an artist too."

I have never built his machines, and never intend to, but they were a very interesting read.....

-brino

Last edited:
brino,

This is exactly what I was looking for! This book series looks so awesome!

I don't believe it would be very good at making wire.

I don't know much about these so how hard of metal can they form?

I've also purchased the set. While I am very much in learning mode. When possible l am using the concepts which Gingery offers to make missing and broken parts for my vintage iron. The aluminum foundry is here. Am planning to fire her up when the snow melts this spring. The parts won't be OEM but they will hopefully move toward restoring functionality!

Daryl
MN

777Steven,

For interest/fun check-out the 7-book series from Dave Gingery.
http://gingerybookstore.com/

He repeats the adage that the lathe is the only machine tool that can replicate (or build) itself.

He starts with a charcoal foundry to melt and cast aluminum. That is used to make a lathe (with little more than a power drill and files). Those are then used to make a metal shaper, then a milling machine, drill press and dividing head. Along the way he discusses and shows scraping and many other techniques.

One of my favourite quotes is about "hand scraping" from his metal lathe book:

"This simple process has been referred to as the "Art of Hand Scraping". It is well to remember that knowledge is generally passed on reluctantly. Those that know how want to maintain their superior position so they always try to make it as difficult as possible. It's up to you to discover the secret and avoid the diversions that such people want to set in your way"

He then goes thru a two-page quick and dirty basics of scraping and ends the section with:

"Like most hand skills, it requires only an understanding of the principle and a little practice. Call it an art if you want to, but if it is, [then] the guy who operates the road grader is an artist too."

I have never built his machines, and never intend to, but they were a very interesting read.....

-brino

Back