Red

Thanks Firstram and Chris

I am happy with the way it turned out and it runs great and starts eisiely but it is not exactly what I was hoping for.
First run had an average speed of 780 rpms and approximately 23 idle revolutions.
After I fixed the oring issue the average speed was 720 rpms and 18 idle revolutions because there was more friction from the oring now.
Next I lowered the compression ratio to 5 to 1 and played around with different spring tensions and the average speed was 690 with 14 idle revolutions. The speed is going in the right direction but the idle revolutions are going the wrong way.

This is the next thing I am going to try.
IMG_0815.JPG
IMG_0817.JPG

The original flywheels were 5" in diameter and 5/8" wide. These are 6" in diameter and will be just under 1" wide.

This is just my observation from the tests I did that lowering the compression ratio does lower the rpms but also the idle revolutions probably because there is a smaller bang and less energy. Changing the spring tension on the governor does lower the rpms but also the idle revolutions probably because there is not as much stored energy in the flywheels.

It will take me a couple of days to whittle these into shape and then we will see what happens.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Success!!!!

Specs
1" bore
2" stroke
5 to 1 compression ratio
crankshaft and connecting rod all on ball bearings
6" flywheels weigh 4lbs each
low speed 420 rpms
21 revolutions between power strokes
almost no vibration

I have over 2hrs run time on the engine now with no problems.
I wanted a slow running long cycling hit-miss engine and that is exactly what I got.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Sweet, runs like clockwork! Nice job Ray, you have good reason to be proud of this one. I like the little gas tank... :)

-frank

Hi Ray,

Great work and thanks for bringing us all along on the build.
It is inspiring!

Brian

Back