[Lathe] Refurbed Pools Special lathe

Wookie101

Registered
Registered
Been busy for a while refurbing my girlfriends fathers old lathe. It's a Pools Special made in Nottingham, England in the 1930's. It belonged to his father originally and was in a pretty sorry state sat out his garage unloved so he asked if I would take a look at it for him. Surprisingly very little wrong with it other than copious amounts of rust and a generous helping of paint all over the half nut mechanism so was locked solid. Just needs a new motor now, then ready to go. Enjoy!!
IMG_3893.JPGIMG_3895.JPGIMG_3896.JPGIMG_3897.JPGIMG_3898.JPGIMG_3899.JPGIMG_3902.JPGIMG_4746.JPGIMG_4747.JPGIMG_4748.JPGIMG_4749.JPGIMG_4750.JPGIMG_4751.JPGIMG_4752.JPGIMG_4753.JPG

Excellent job on the lathe. I'm sure he will be astounded at the transformation. Cheers, Mike

Nice, looks similar to a Zyto. Like the embedded threading dial and the t-slots

Very nice job on the lathe. Was the v-belt pulley a replacement at some time: I thought 1930's machines usually used
flat belts? The cross slide with slots is a nice touch. Oh, and is the large green object wrapped in plastic in the background
something we might like to see?

Yup, lovely job, no doubt about it. :encourage:

-frank

That's the first lathe I've ever seen that the carriage rides on a dovetail. Good job!

Thanks for the comments all. I'm not sure about the belt arrangement tbh, but looking at what little info I could find online they were pedal driven early on so very likely a flat belt somewhere. I have a wall mounted pulley assembly that's also V belt but that looks a bit home made, so most likely started life different. I know the bearings have been altered.

The covered gadget is my lathe, a Myford Super7. I restored that too a while back so is in similar condition.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/my-workshop.73661/

Back