Reid 618H? Inspection ahead- What to check? Table sag, etc?

countryguy

Active User
Registered
Hi everyone, We are going to check out a RIED 618H?sumthing on Tuesday. I cannot see the last digit on the badge when I blow up the pic. It's $500 w/ no chuck. Not expecting perfection, but what tolerance should this hold? I asked if he would indicate X and Y directions ( before we come out. He did indicate- It's a few tens left to right and 1/2tho in and out. (we learned the hard way on a $300 junker w/ a warped or twisted table now in my shed).

What should one of these beasties read going in/out w/ a quality indicator? Is there any adjustment or it's just not leveled right possibly.
I think I can lift the table off and look at the ways right w/o too much fuss I think? our BP just lifts off of the top.
Spin up the motor and let if coast... listen for any bearing rattle and play?

either I look at a few like this, or I hit a few Kents nearby, SGS618, which I seem to have a crush on, but 4x the cost. :-0

Presuming the mag chuck has been surfaced by the machine, one test I'm familiar with is to place five identical steel blocks on the magnet.
One in the center and one per corner of the chuck. Dress the wheel and grind as you would a large plate.
Measure the blocks to see how far out of spec things are.

Problem is, you don't get a chuck with this machine.
My old Reid used a section of timing belt to drive the table rather than a toothed rack and pinion.

Last edited:
thanks... IT sold already.. They come and go weekly.

Last edited:
Back