Relay outputs on Teco L510 VFD (aux fan)

GunsOfNavarone

Registered
Registered
This is probably a very simple question, but I don't want to destroy anything this late in the game!
I am converting my G0602z to vfd. Have everything and have it mocked up, but one small hang up. I have an auxiliary fan that will kick on when the motor is turn I g too slow to cook itself (say threading) anything under 30 hrz... I have a 12v power supply for the 12 v fan, I hear the delay kicking in below 30hrz but I am unsure how to wire the fan into RA (or RB?) While powering from the 12v power supply. Is it just the ground that goes to the VFD WHILE THE power comes from the 12 v power supply? Doo I connect to RA or RB (I'm sure a multimeter would answer thT, but since I'm asking...
Thanks much!

You would connect the negative of the power supply to the negative lead of the motor, there is no ground. You connect the positive of the power supply to RA and the positive of the motor lead to RB. The relay is rated at 1A maximum current, the default is NO relay which closes when the VFD is in the run mode, so no additional parameters. Alternatively you could use a small toggle switch in series with the relay if you did not want the fan to operate under normal use.

If you look at the cooling curve of a TEFC motor, typically you do not need a fan unless you are below like 15Hz, and this would be over prolonged use. Short term say for threading, it is not needed. TEBC which use an electric fan motor are usually seen with VFD installs where the motor covers a wide speed range and you may be running at low motor speed for a prolonged time. My mill motor covers 20-200 Hz and uses an AC blower motor.

Thanks MKSJ, I went back and forth in my mind if it were positive or negative that the relay would be suppling. Seems I was way off regardless. I have so little time right now to work on this though I’m itching to get this mod complete. I have the relay kicking in only below 30hz, but can set that much lower. I’d like to thread much slower than my Grizzly offers currently (I will now be able to vary between 6hz and 120hz) I have some Titanium projects, it will be a slow process. I can always set the relay no not kick in at all if not needed. Guess I’d like the option of additional cooling, at least it will be ready to go.
Thanks again!

Back