Reliable, affordable DRO setup for G4003G

A few questions. I don't want to be a PIA but I'm ignorant concerning these things and don't wanna throw good money down the drain. Please keep in mind I'm not an electronics guru in the least.

1) On the
Used Mitutoyo ALC-7705W DRO removed from a 9 X 42 Bridgeport. THE "Y" AXIS "SCALE" DOES NOT WORK. Readout works as it should. Comes with mounting hardware and power feed rod.

Does this mean the faulty scale needs to be replaced? If so one could probably source it from the same seller? The seller is ashmachco.

2)
Mitutoyo Digital Readout & Scales. Working take-Off includes mounts for Bridgeport Milling Machine, ABS Linear Scale AT2-N750 Code 529-108-1 750mm, short scale Part #unreadable 300mm, readout Model MLP-7705W. Location Top of V31

What does all that mean? Is this another example of merely needing to replace the non functioning scale? Seller: Mike Kandu

3) The Fagor NV20. It's wart:
Unit powers on and displays "Error 02" on screen"
What is an "Error 02" and what does one do to address it? Seller: priscospracos

4) This guy sounds like the best bet. Just guessing though. : acu-rite 100s 2x turn
Tested. Powers on accepts commands. No further testing. As is, sale is final.
If I were to purchase this item would I just source scales for this model. Seems as I've read the scales are vendor specific. Is that correct? Seller: rgv-stingraymill

5) This guy seems to be acceptable as well and the scales are already there. Plus free shipping. The other's want anywhere from $80 -$100 for shipping. How much do these things weigh or are they just runnin' the pork on the shipping rates??

Acu-Rite III Digital Readout
• 10 Micron Resolution
• X travel: 26"
• Y travel: 12"
• Removed from a Bridgeport with a 12 x 36" table
• Used, in working condition

Manuals are available online at acu-rite.com

I have 36" between centers but have yet to work that far away from the chuck. Shouldn't be a deal breaker, huh.

Thanks again guys and gals for all the time you've taken to help me out. I hope I'm able to pay it forward at a later date when I know what the heck I'm doing.

Dale

Glad to help but Purp makes a great point about researching these used units to see what their capabilities are.

- - - Updated - - -

I will add that on the Acu-Rite 200 I recently sold a very simple keystroke sequence will change the functionality from lathe to mill for example. The necessary coding is already in the unit. The tech at Acu-Rite walked me through the process and was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. One of the great bonuses when getting a DRO from one of the big, well established names.

Great points Senna. Will get on this first thing in the a.m.

Thanks more than you know!

Re: the Fagor NV20 referenced above.... I wrote the guy asking if the unit worked, any known problems, and would he pay for return shipping if the item was defective. He wrote back saying the unit was pulled from a working environment, he has a 14-day return policy, and buyer is to pay for return shipping. I almost bought that NV20 but with such a vague response, and the fact that I would have to pay for return shipping if the unit was a dud made me pass on it. That's the problem with buying electronics, especially units like DRO heads. You don't know if what you're getting is 100% reliably reading or how long it'll last. Sure, the name brand units might have a better track record but when buying used it's still taking a chance.

I got my DRO and am in the process of test fitting and have a few questions. I bought the lathe specific kit from drokits.com. I've taken a few photos of the issues that are concerning me and seek the advise of those who have successfully installed their own systems.

Firstly, the chip cover is too tall for my cross slide. I guess one would just mill off the excess height?

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

DSCN0151_zps56b0610b.jpg

Second issue is the scale (I think that's correct. The part that remains stationary.) mounts to the carriage and in doing so leaves about a 1/4" gap between the rule(?) and the cross slide. I suppose that's just shimmed out to keep the moving portion and the fixed scale parallel?

Not a very good photo:

DSCN0146_zps7d94c767.jpg

Notice also in this photo that in order to have clearance for the cable I would have to have the top most portion of the rule riding above the edge of the cross slide. Is that a big deal? If that's the case how do I secure the chip guard and make it functional?

Did anyone else encounter these types of issues when installing their own units? I'm open to any and all input and/or suggestions. I can post as many pictures as it takes to make it as clear as possible.

Thanks much,

Dale

DSCN0151_zps56b0610b.jpg

DSCN0146_zps7d94c767.jpg

Last edited:
Try this link. Walks you through a DRO install on his G4003G lathe. He shows you what he did with the very same issues you are talking about.

http://bedair.org/Grizzly12x/DRO/GrizzlyDRO.html

Also go here and scroll down and look on the left side of the screen and they have video's on installing there DRO's on a actual Grizzly G4003G.

http://www.dropros.com/DRO_PROS_Lathe_Digital_Readouts.htm

I came across Steve Bedair's website when I was researching the purchase of my lathe. I'd forgotten about it. As chance would have it I ran across the dropros 4 part video series this afternoon on YouTube. The thing that both of these installations have in common is their access to a mill which I don't have at this time. I have a good friend who runs a mill at the machine shop where he works but management is really cutting down on 'govt. jobs' right now. I can get by with a die grinder and deburring tools but I'd like to have it appear more professional than what I foresee with what I have available at hand.

I was able to get started with the install Saturday and pretty much see what needs to happen. Without having a mill handy I see it turning out looking like hammered ______, which I would truly like to avoid.

Thanks for posting,

Dale

FYI - "part that is moving" isn't necessarily the reader or the scale - depending on your install, either one could be the stationary while the other - the moving part. (just saying ;) )

not sure if you misrepresented it - but 1/4" gap between scale and reader (scale = long glass part, reader = short part) is quite a lot. there is usually very little gap between the two. When my scales came, they had 2 plastic temporary screwed on clamps that kept the reader and scale connected (to remove stress from the reader hanging off the scale) - those also were used to set the gap between reader and scale - yes there should be some gap, but not 1/4".

As for the covers - they should be machined/fitted to suit your needs/setup. I redrilled mine, and machining one off in height is not unheard of. you can also use a hack-saw + files/stone to get it done. remember - it just needs to fit in size, and protect your scales, not be a precision cut - just make it as pleasing to the eye as possible.

FYI - "part that is moving" isn't necessarily the reader or the scale - depending on your install, either one could be the stationary while the other - the moving part. (just saying ;) )

not sure if you misrepresented it - but 1/4" gap between scale and reader (scale = long glass part, reader = short part) is quite a lot. there is usually very little gap between the two. When my scales came, they had 2 plastic temporary screwed on clamps that kept the reader and scale connected (to remove stress from the reader hanging off the scale) - those also were used to set the gap between reader and scale - yes there should be some gap, but not 1/4".

As for the covers - they should be machined/fitted to suit your needs/setup. I redrilled mine, and machining one off in height is not unheard of. you can also use a hack-saw + files/stone to get it done. remember - it just needs to fit in size, and protect your scales, not be a precision cut - just make it as pleasing to the eye as possible.

I probably just misspoke. The casting on the carriage is what was about 1/4" proud. I was just able to mount the reader and shim the scale out with washers to get them on the same plane. There isn't a gap between the reader and scale as the scale travels while the reader remains stationary. The reader is in a slot in the scale so that distance is fixed and not adjustable to my knowledge.

The Z axis scale is too long so it's in transit now for a shorter unit.

Thanks for the reply.

Back