Reloading press rebuild question

Liljoebrshooter

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am going to rebuild another press and would like to have input on my setup.
I have done one of these before and wondered if there is a better and maybe a more accurate way to do this.
I turned the adaptor for the thread and then using that for mounting the press on the lathe.
I then turn the bottom so I can use the steady rest to hold it. Then using a boring bar to open the bore to accept a bushing.
I then take the press out of the lathe and press the bushings in, put it back in the lathe and bore the bushings to the correct size.
Is there anything I can do to make sure the holes on the top and bottom are straight?
Thanks for any help.
Joe Hynes 20181203_181315.jpg20180103_182819.jpg20180104_175529.jpg

After using the boring bar to get the hole very close to finish size, I used a small hone to get the final size to keep clearance very tight.
This is a press that is converted into a bullet making press. So the ram is slightly different.
Is there a different way to skin this cat?

Thanks
Joe Hynes

If that is a steel bushing with a steel ram (unhardened) sliding in it with a close fit, galling can be expected; the bushing should be bronze or cast iron, but a hard shaft would also help if using steel as a bushing material, and finish quality is also an important issue. The only way to get it (truly) concentric, so far as I can see is to line bore it, with a threaded bushing to guide the boring bar on the top end.

The bushing is a high load bushing from McMaster. I bought a couple to try them out. The other press I did, i used a bronze bushing.
The shaft is 1144 TGP, it is very consistent diameter wise and straight.
Here is a picture of the other press I did.
20171219_185055.jpg

Are you actually making bullets, or just re-pointing them?

What cal and grn wt. are you making? What's the cost per 100 doing it that way? Obviously in BR you're checking everything, so I assume they fly well. Is there a competitive edge in forming your own, beyond what you can get from normal weight sorting? Do you think the efforts diminish the returns at this point (like meplat uniforming)?

Back