Reloading press rebuild question

Kinda curious about the cost benefits myself. I do a lot of hand-loading, and after amoritizing brass over 5 uses the bullet is by far the most expensive part. Been thinking of casting my own, but hadn't considered jacketing.

For score shooting, 30 BR is the favorite calibre but it is difficult to find good bullets for the twist rates involved (15 to 17:1 twist are common). So several top shooters have taken to making their own out of necessity. This situation may be changing but for now hand made bullets rule in score shooting. It is a lot of work, attention to detail and investment in equipment and raw materials so I doubt that there is an economic reason to do it.

There is absolutely no cost savings making your own bullets. I am trying to make a good bullet for competition.
Yes, you can buy good bullets, but they are never the same.
The dies are the expensive part, I just bought a used set that was close to $2000.
20181115_160945.jpg
I can make a 6mm bullet from about 63 gr to 68gr.
There is very little sorting and I don't know of anyone that tips or does any work on the meplat in short range benchrest.

Ah, of course. Short range 30 BR is a perfect example- where to find 110 gr .30 projos? My most sought after projectile is the Berger 6mm 135 gr, which is easy to find. Next is the 175 gr .30, also easy to find. I try to contain my delusions of wildcatting to commonly available source components, so even a funky build may not push me in that direction. Hmmm. I'd love to be convinced on the usefulness, so please continue sharing the enlightenment! (For point of reference, I shoot highpower, prone, and F-class. Not classes won by marginal gains like BR. Does punching a single hole in the paper for short range bench ever get boring?) :cool:

I was just wondering how that press works.....I saw it was a Lee. All of the Lee presses I have seen has a toggle stop on the linkage which prevents the ram from going all the way to top dead center and full dwell.

Back