Remington 788 build

Would someone with a 788 chambered in a 308 class cartridge please verify their dimensions in comparison (to mine):

Action screws for stock (6-3/4" center to center)
Length of bolt shank from the front of the forwardmost bolt lug to the bolt face (3.355")

I am also length limited in the magazine to about 2.42" cartridge OAL, the ejection port is about 2.3" long, and the mag cut is about 2.5". All would have to be increased accordingly to allow for 308 class cartridges (if the action and bolt length even allow).

Well I decided to take the easy route all the way around. Douglas air gauged XX prefit bbl (light target profile/weight, 1:8 twist, SS) long chambered in 22-250 ordered...now to get the old bbl off, check the front face for squareness, touch it up on a mandrel if necessary, and final fit the new bbl when it arrives.

Many thanks for the conversation and advice!

I apologize... I was going to get the measurements off my .243... but I've been in Hawaii all week.

I'm glad you have it all worked out, though...

-Bear

I apologize... I was going to get the measurements off my .243... but I've been in Hawaii all week.

I'm glad you have it all worked out, though...

-Bear
No worries. I read that I have the shorter (and therefore unsuitable in any case for 308 length) of the 2 action lengths and just wanted a confirmation...internet data is not always reliable. There are many obsticles in making this rifle suitable for 308 class cartridges including bottom metal, ejection port and mag slots, and stock adjustments therein. Too much trouble, and a 22-250 is a good option. Same with the 6mmBR option, still have to worry about feeding due to the very different case geometry. Staying 22-250 should be plug and play.

Back