Remove Carrage from Clausing 1957 (I believe Master) 13 x 36 Engine Lathe?

What ended up being the resolution?

What ended up being the resolution?
It has been shelved for the moment. I do not want to take the lathe off line at the moment. There is definitley an issue with the apron drive mechanism. The feed rod is both bent and appears to be missing alignment bushings.

But isn't this the same machine that had a mystery shudder In the headstock every third revolution or something? And some problem in the carriage? And left weird marks in the work? And is now turning a .005" taper over 4 inches? My memory isn't that great, which is why I ask. With all these mysterious and unresolved problems stacking up, I wonder if there's a good way to solve them. Generally we try to eliminate the variables as they are identified, in order to narrow in on the root cause. But the list of variables here is only getting longer.

But isn't this the same machine that had a mystery shudder In the headstock every third revolution or something? And some problem in the carriage? And left weird marks in the work? And is now turning a .005" taper over 4 inches? My memory isn't that great, which is why I ask. With all these mysterious and unresolved problems stacking up, I wonder if there's a good way to solve them. Generally we try to eliminate the variables as they are identified, in order to narrow in on the root cause. But the list of variables here is only getting longer.
By chance when I was doing this I used a new tool with a carbide insert; the insert had a slightly rounded end. That tool made a very clean cut. I experimented with a couple of depths, it did a really job at 10 thou.
The oscilation is still there depending on speed. I believe it is due to either the collet closer or a chuck that is out of balance. The machine is consistantly smooth with no load, no collet closer or no chuck.
The carrage problem persists. This model has selects between long feed and cross feed by sliding a single lever along the feed rod. That mechanism is worn and may be missing a bushing. The feed rod is also shightly bent. This is the project I am delaying.

Back