Remove lathe spindle taper

nnam

Registered
Registered
The taper inside the spindle reduce the size greatly when I don't need it. Is it possible to remove them?

This is a Leblond servo shift 15x30"

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-06-15-14-24-01.png
    Screenshot_2019-06-15-14-24-01.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 53
Have you tried to knock it from the back end? Use a wood or aluminum rod and don't beat on it really hard....

I ask first just to be sure. It must be pressed in very hard or have a lock screw to make sure the rotational is trasferred over without slipping. If a lock screw, it may cause an offset unless very tight fit.

So maybe they use something I dont kbow yet, but must common among lathes, since these are almost a centery old tech.

Are you talking about the "Dead Center" that is stuck in the taper as the picture represents or are you speaking of the Actual Taper and are looking for a way to open up the spindle by removing the tapered portion?

Are you talking about the "Dead Center" that is stuck in the taper as the picture represents or are you speaking of the Actual Taper and are looking for a way to open up the spindle by removing the tapered portion?
Not the dead center. The one with hole that holds the dead center.

Not the dead center. The one with hole that holds the dead center.
I wasnt aware the taper was a seperate piece within the spindle (if that is what you are saying)! I thought the taper was turned and ground as the inside surface of the spindle bore.

Greetings, the drawing shows what appears to be 2 set screws through the spindle nose.

More properly described as a "sleeve", I believe. From the illustration, looks like the spindle itself has a taper but there is also a reducing sleeve inside that takes the centre, also with a taper.

-frank

That's the way I see it. Probably an MT 4 or 5 sleeve. Knock it out.

Back