Remove lathe spindle taper

Looks like you remove the faceplate and access two set screws, then knock the sleeve out from the back (wood dowel or, perhaps, Aluminum conduit/pipe)

I screwed up on this one!

I took out the chuck, just so I can see as much as I can. It turns out the smaller part of the taper hole is larger than the spindle's diameter. The nose cone doesn't have a sleeve like the diagram shows. It's just one piece.

So last time when I tried to put a rod in it, the rod was tilted and hit the spindle's flange, which is a bit smaller than the taper hole. I tried to pull out and put it in again and unluckily, hit it again, so I thought the taper must be very smaller.

Thanks all. Good thing I don't have to do anything at all.

All it takes is a knockout bar that will fit closely in the back of the spindle bore, nearly all lathes have this feature, a smaller center size than the taper in the end of the spindle, have never seen a spindle with setscrews, no reason to have them. Some knockout bars have a small end diameter to knock out the center, then a larger diameter to knockout the sleeve. This is standard practice.

That LeBlonde have a L0 spindle ? If so , I may have something you would like leftover from my LeBlonde Regals . :)

Haven't ever seen any Leblondes with set screws in the spindle front , although I put some in the rear of the spindle for doing gun barrels .

That LeBlonde have a L0 spindle ? If so , I may have something you would like leftover from my LeBlonde Regals . :)

Haven't ever seen any Leblondes with set screws in the spindle front , although I put some in the rear of the spindle for doing gun barrels .

Yes, this is an L0 spinde. I didn't know there is a standard for this.

I looked inside and there is no sleeve. I was mistaken about the taper small hole. It is at least as big as the spindle's ID. It was the spindle's flange that catched my metal rod.

The taper inside the spindle reduce the size greatly when I don't need it. Is it possible to remove them?

Is it possible to remove them:: yes
Is it possible to get the taper put back in and have the same concentricity:: doubtful.

Back