[How do I?] Remove Stripped Screw

The screw in my 13 mm Albrecht ia an M4-.7mm x 14mm thread length. It has approximately 6mm of thread engagement. It is not a cheesehead as it has a chamfer on the bottom of the head. The tap drill size would be 3.3mm. If drilling out the old screw, I would use a drill slightly small to avoid damaging the threads. I would drill from the thread end of the screw. My Albrecht's have a fairly small exit hole and you would have a much better chance of centering the drill on the screw. If you slice through the screw, you will still have to drill the old remnant out to salvage the collar.

With a careful setup, you should be able to successfully remove the old screw. If you don't have an OEM replacement screw, one could be made by turning down an ordinary flat head screw. Here is a fairly close approximation of what you need.
Albrecht Collar Screw.JPG

Thank you, that's good information. But maybe Albrecht changed the design? My Albrechts have cheese heads with no chamfer. Albrecht also started putting blind holes on their collars, 3 total.

The screw came out by itself when it sheared off. It was the wrong screw.

The threads look good and the collar is actually functional. It only has a small mar from the cut off wheel, but it will still hold with the proper screw. I'll order some screws from Royal here in NY. Thank you.

I ended up using a dremel cut off wheel. And, Albrecht Germany exchanged the entire chuck for me.
Even exchange! Sent the old one back and got a brand new 2015 model free of charge!
and, Albrecht sent me a bunch of replacement screws. They now use Phillips head machine screws.

I use these from Rennsteig, also use left hand drill bits for other extractions.Rennsteigs don't spin like some of the round ones.

Rensteigg_1000.jpg

Back