[4]

Removing a ring from finger.

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

The_Apprentice

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Alright, here's a problem I couldn't quite solve over a week ago.

I took my ring off on my right hand, but I couldn't get the one on my index finger off on my left. Realizing tugging with soap was only making it swell worse, I left it for now.

However, as I want to start to use my lathe on a daily basis now... this is going to be a priority issue for me.

I am going to attempt to swap out soap for some of our water-based sexual lubricant next, as I figure THAT is made for slickness. And if THAT doesn't work, I'll make a trip to the local Love Shop for Silicone based (or other). And if THAT doesn't work, I guess I can always go down to the local hospital and have them use a standard ring-cutter... though I'd rather avoid that if possible. Of course, it is better to have them cut it off BEFORE an accident, and not AFTER.

Since I know this is a common practice/problem with tenured machinists, is there any other tricks at the moment? Only other thing that comes to mind is an old wive's tale about soaking a finger/hand into ice-water for a bit before trying to slide a ring off...

Suggestions from many of those who've had experience in this endeavor? Thanks in advance.

Ray C

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Have not been thru this myself but.... Within sensible limits, cut way back on fluid intake for a day or so. Without fluids, a body starts puckering-up pretty fast and changes in ring size will be among the first places you'll notice a difference. If needed, reduce your calorie intake and try to lose a couple pounds over a week or so -of course, within sensible/medical limits.

Ray

ebolton

Registered
Registered
The ice water thing is valid. Another thing to do, if your health is OK for it, is restrict your fluid intake for a day or two. If you do need the last resort, I wouldn't go to a hospital for it (expensive!) If you can wedge a tongue depressor of something similar between it and your finger to protect the skin, you could use a cutoff wheel in a dremel.

D

Deleted member 43972

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Supposedly this works
h9991863_002.jpg

The_Apprentice

Staff member
I was debating on fluids too. Possibly drinking too much soda during these winter months while indoors is causing my fingers to swell more than normal. In any case, I tried to use the water-based lube, while elevating my index finger above shoulder height for a while, unfortunately, there is no way this is going to do the trick.

Will stop drinking soda over the next few days, then try a better lubricant with a COLD finger as well as the finger elevation trick, and see how that goes.

BTW, in Canada hospital visits are free, part of the benefits of living here and paying taxes, so I'm not too worried of visits. But don't want to ruin this ring if I don't have to. It's not some cheap import from China. LOL

D

Deleted member 43972

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!

chris.trotter

The dental floss thing looked painful - saw that a few months back when my 5 year-old got a "ring" jammed on his finger (a charm/pendant thing). Of course I saw it after I hacksawed it off his finger - an act that required great patience, lol. Used a hacksaw blade without the saw, needle-nose vise grip holding it. Took 45 min. :) Good luck!!

Protip - a hacksaw won't cut through diamond/cubic zirconia.

brino

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
my 5 year-old got a "ring" jammed on his finger (a charm/pendant thing). I hacksawed it off his finger - an act that required great patience, lol. ...... Took 45 min
How do you get a worried 5 year old to stay still for 45 mins? Was he asleep or did you get his hand in a vise? ;)

chris.trotter

How do you get a worried 5 year old to stay still for 45 mins? Was he asleep or did you get his hand in a vise? ;)
By making him not worried, of course! :D I think my wife told him stories of her childhood - that kinda thing always seems to captivate them.

Alittlerusty

Registered
Windex glass cleaner is the solution. Should easily get it off. Call a jeweler and mention it they will confirm.

Tony Wells

Registered
Registered
Morticians use the string trick. My dad was wearing his wedding band, as he had always done since being married. Never one time removed it. But Mom wanted it and saw no need to bury it with him, so the funeral director assured her they would retrieve it before closing the casket the last time. I asked later how, and that is what they told me. Must be pretty quick and discreet, as they did it right in front of everyone.

D

Deleted member 43972

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Windex glass cleaner is the solution. Should easily get it off. Call a jeweler and mention it they will confirm.
Yes. Jewelers use Windex.

Tony Wells

Registered
Registered
Reminds me of a couple of peddlers that came into my shop one summer afternoon. Forget what they were selling, but I ended up giving away an old CRT television I had stored away, and noticed one of the guys had a stuck ring. Had been stuck a few days and was looking kind of bad. He was in some pain and it looked dangerous to me. His circulation wasn't good in that finger. So I offered to cut it off (not the finger! Well, I did joke about that). It was a nice ring, fairly, so I didn't want to just get my end nippers or carbide tile nippers and mutilate it (the ring), so I had him lay his hand across a mill vice and after clamping the ring gently, took a jewelers saw and split it at about 45°. The kerf was thin, and could be easily soldered back together so he could get it resized. Nothing to it.

Now, you can buy some pretty fancy carbide rings, so the EMT's (you guys feel free to chime in) had to adapt methods to crack them, unlike the standard ring cutters they usually carried. I always thought a pair of vise-grips properly adjusted would do the job with low risk to the finger, but what do I know?. I don't wear jewelry any more. Sometimes a wristwatch, but even that has a stretch band instead of a clasp, and never while working the machines. It lays on the desk.

Dredb

Registered
Registered
The dental floss thing looked painful - saw that a few months back when my 5 year-old got a "ring" jammed on his finger (a charm/pendant thing). Of course I saw it after I hacksawed it off his finger - an act that required great patience, lol. Used a hacksaw blade without the saw, needle-nose vise grip holding it. Took 45 min. :) Good luck!!
I had to read this twice, the first time I got 'after I hacksawed off his finger' URGH!!!
I removed a ring for my young daughter a long time ago, I used compound side cutters to cut the ring with a feeler guage between the ring and finger.

The_Apprentice

Staff member
You guys are scaring me, LOL.

Will hit the dental-floss trick in a few days, and combine it with Windex.

KMoffett

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I had a surgeon demand that the anesthesiologist remove my wedding ring from my left hand before he would operate on my right shoulder. The guy used the dental floss trick. Was never able to get the ring on again. :(

Ken

Richard King 2

Master Machine Tool Rebuilder & Instructor
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
It sounded like that guy was in pain didn't it...lol but it worked... Reminds me of the time the wife wanted me to wax my hairy back as we were going on a cruise. She ordered some wax from a TV commercial and on their instruction video there was this guy and as she ripped off the cloth he smiled. When she started to do my back It was one of the most painful experiences I had ever felt....lol I was hurting and laughing as i was thinking of that big guy smiling. He had to have been stoned out of his mind. LOL Scroll through the first part toominute 3...to 5 min mark...lol....of this and watch the guy squirm when she starts to pull off the hair....
there are several guys on You tube who regretted getting there back waxed....LOL

gi_984

Active User
I've had to cut quite a few rings off in the medical field. Mostly due to acute injuries and we need to get it off right now. If there is no hurry, restrict your SALT intake for a few days along with less fluids as already mentioned. Any light lubricant along with the string trick usually works. Most jewelers also have ring cutters. Easy to go in and have it removed and repaired in one trip.
The only issue I've seen is the increased popularity of the tungsten based rings. Most ring cutters won't work on them. We wind up shattering them with a pair of double jointed shears used in ortho surgery.

Aaron_W

This works well, my wife has done it several times when her hand has swollen and she can't get her ring off.

You may also want to look into having the ring resized if you want to be able to easily put it on and take it off. That is what my wife did after acknowledging that her fingers were just bigger than when she was in her 20s.

I physically can't wear a ring, it would drive me crazy. Luckily my wife grew up around ranchers and others who work with equipment, so a guy not wearing a wedding ring was pretty normal to her, and not seen as an attempt to sneak around behind her back.

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I've helped people with the string/floss trick. Worked well and they said it didn't hurt. I've also seen a jeweler use a ring cutter to remove one and they were able to resize and fix it without issues. I imagine that wouldn't work on tungsten or titanium though. I like mine just tight enough to not fall off, so I can easily remove it. I work on a lot of things that would cause issues if it were to catch, and my wife grew up on a farm so isn't bothered by it.

I wouldn't go to a hospital for it, they would probably charge you enough to buy a new mill just to cut it off. :)

D

Deleted member 473

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
This brings back the memory when my son was around 5 or 6 years old. The kids had a musical toy that had pieces that you put together to make a couple of instruments like a sax or clarinet. Well one of the elbows to this contraction, my son get his thumb stuck in it. We tried the water soap solution, that didn't help. Got the Dremel out and proceeded to cut it off. I inserted something up into the bore, don't remember if it was a popsicle stick or what. Couldn't get around the bend, so I just had to be careful. Finally got enough of it cut that I pried the rest of it open to get his finger out. We still have that musical instrument here somewhere.

D

Deleted member 473

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Sometimes holding your hand up in the air above your head will work, too.

mattthemuppet2

time of year is an issue too - most people retain more fluids in winter when it's cold.

Once you get it off, I would suggest going to a jewellers and getting it stretched up a size.

kvt

Active User
Have seen the string one time. also cut off with cutters and a feeler gauge under it. Not fun. Do not wear rings, watch or chains any more except for special occasions and not anywhere near equipment. Wife said she would rater have me in one piece for leave it off, She saw the results after wedding band got welded to a car while still on my hand.
Have also seen where a person had not taken it off in years, then had to have it cut off because arthritis in the joint had caused it to grow to where it would not fit over it.

D

Deleted member 43972

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
time of year is an issue too - most people retain more fluids in winter when it's cold.

Once you get it off, I would suggest going to a jewellers and getting it stretched up a size.
I'm the opposite. I shrink up in the winter. My ring often nearly falls off. But in the summer my hands swell up and my ring compresses my finger. Drastic difference!

The_Apprentice

Staff member
The last few months I've felt myself swell up huge. I can tell when putting my pants & belt on. I suspect because I am no longer going out for walks and exercise. It is too cold and snow sucks, and I probably am drinking more soda than I should.

Hope this Windex trick works! I can't believe that more machinists haven't run into these problems 'personally'. I guess there's a good reason for that though!

When ever I've seen old-timers with missing digits on their hands in those you-tube machine-shop videos... generally it does seem to be their ring-fingers missing the most when I think about it...

shootur44

Registered
Have not been thru this myself but.... Within sensible limits, cut way back on fluid intake for a day or so. Without fluids, a body starts puckering-up pretty fast and changes in ring size will be among the first places you'll notice a difference. If needed, reduce your calorie intake and try to lose a couple pounds over a week or so -of course, within sensible/medical limits.

Ray
Hello Ray. I’m Mike and go by shootur44 I have a dumb question that probably has been answered previously but I must have missed it. Now for some time there are lots of pictures that are not visual or for some reason I can’t manage to get them were I can see them. I saw were there was some kind of update and I have my stuff updated to best of my knowledge. Can you PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW TO UPDATE MY PROGRAM OR WHATEVER I NEED TO DO.
I AM USING A IPHONE 7 PLUS IF THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.
THANK YOU
MIKE

NortonDommi

Registered
Having seen two fingers ripped off and a hand permanently ruined when a SS watch band fused between a 24 V battery and the chassis of a truck I am glad to hear you want to remove jewelry. With the string method if you pull back on the skin behind the ring while someone else winds the dental floss on and apply some lube you shouldn't have any problems.

[6]
[5] [7]