Removing a stuck center allen screw from an R8 slitting saw arbor

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
It's been years since I installed the slitting saw.

Are they left hand threads?

Any clever ideas for holding the R8 arbor upside down for better access while working on it?

I would chuck it in the lathe chuck. Hold one of the jaws with an adjustable wrench and give the Allen wrench a tap or two. I t should be right handed. And if you have an impact and hex bit that would be better.

Last edited:
My sliting saw arbor is left hand thread.

Last edited:
My R8 slitting saw arbor has a 3/8"-24 RH thread. I replaced the original flat head screw with a custom washer to match the countersink and a hex head cap screw.

If I’m thinking of the same arbor? Sorry, you do not have a pic. Mine is RH. This problem has happened to me. Do not use an impact. Do not use a cheater bar on the Allen wrench. All this will do is destroy the hex hole in the screw. You need to grab that special washer on the end and turn it CCW while you are trying to turn the flat head cap screw.

A pipe wrench would work, but will leave that special washer with ugly jaw marks:(.

Then when you are all done put two flats on that special washer. So next time all you need to do is put a regular wrench on it…Dave

Last edited:
in most stuck cases try tightening first then loosen

in most stuck cases try tightening first then loosen
That trick might work on some other stuck fastener. But not on this problem. The saw blade in operation has already tightened the bejesus out of that screw.

Back