Removing Paint From Zamak

john.oliver35

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi All,

I've got an old miter gauge (yeah, ok this is on a woodworking tool, but it is made out of metal!) that is die cast, non-magnetic, and too heavy for aluminum. I presume it is Zamak or similar zinc alloy. It has several coats of paint on it that I want to remove and then repaint. What is a safe solvent for softening/removing the paint from the Zamak?

Hi All,

I've got an old miter gauge (yeah, ok this is on a woodworking tool, but it is made out of metal!) that is die cast, non-magnetic, and too heavy for aluminum. I presume it is Zamak or similar zinc alloy. It has several coats of paint on it that I want to remove and then repaint. What is a safe solvent for softening/removing the paint from the Zamak?
Any organic solvent will be safe.

It depends on what kind of paint it's painted with. I've not found a universal paint solvent, yet.

I've cleaned paint that no solvent would soften by boiling the part in water. Sometimes, it will loosen up and just peel right off.

I have a paint stripper called "Strip Fast" by Zinsser. The solvent is methylene chloride in a gel base. You brush it on and after fifteen to twenty minutes, you can usually remove the paint with a water wash. It seems to be the last word for removing stubborn coats of paint. I haven't used it on Zamack or white metal but I have on aluminum with no ill effects.
Use it in a well ventilated area, preferably outdoors. Avoid skin contact and wear eye protection. skin seems to absorb it fairly easily and it causes a temporary burning sensation.

Thank all of you! What a great forum! The miter gauge came with an old Delta Unisaw 20 years ago that I sold but the gauge got tossed into a box and forgotten. The gauge is not a Delta gauge. Some third party. I'll post more when I get it cleaned up a bit.

I second that paint stripper. I've only used it on steel and brass with no ill effects.

Back