Removing paper from old Plexiglas!

KMoffett

Active User
Registered
OK, I've read every post on how to remove the paper from old Plexiglas, after the glued has dried out. None of them worked, or take more effort than the scrap is worth. Yesterday I had a student that works in our Chemistry Stock Room take piece of old Plexiglas (>10 years old) and handed me back a clean sheet. She said they use 3M Citrus Based Adhesive Remover to get the years old labels off chemical storage bottles. Sprayed some on, wait a few minutes, used beveled Plexiglas scraper to start lifting the paper, and it pealed the paper in sheets. OK, edges where the paper had lifted over time, and the glue had turned rock solid wasn't touched. Contains: citris extract (8028-48-6) and propane (74-98-6). Sorry for those of you on the West coast.

Ken

Good tip. I tried Goo Gone, and that only works marginally with allot of effort

Thanks Ken , I'll give the stuff a try . :encourage:

that's a great way to do it. I've always struggled with that dammed paper

Heat on dried paper glue has never worked for me. Neither has kerosene. Nor have many many other solvents. Some will dissolve the paper, but the dried glue stays.

Ken

I've had fair luck with mineral spirits paint thinner. I soak it for a while (30-90 minutes) and it peels off fairly well but leaves a film of gooey. Then I have to struggle to get the gooey off with a plastic putty knife, more thinner, and lots of paper towels.

This is why the sign companies dump all their old stock onto ebay at bargain prices. It's a good deal if you are a hobbiest like me with time to remove the backing.

Back