• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Removing safety glass?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

HellawellCustoms

Registered
Registered
Has anyone removed the rod for the safety glass? Seems like it is always in my way preventing me from milling smaller parts. I always wear my safety glasses when I use this so i dont see the need for it. I'm assuming I just remove the 2 bolts? 20180530_171827.jpg

dlane

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I would remove it. Seems nowadays manufacturers add so many safety features it becomes dangerous :eek 2:.

TonyRV2

Registered
Registered
The very first thing I did was remove the safety shield on my PM-25MV mill. On mine, after removing a retaining clip, you can just slide that rod out that hold the shield. The switch stays in the proper position for the machine to run with the rod removed. Of course, even if the switch didn't, it would be a simple matter to bypass.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I don't see any downside from taking it off, seems like a (possibly dangerous) nanny feature anyhow

Last edited:

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
One of the first 'mods' I did to my PM25 was removing that shield and rod.

T Bredehoft

Active User
I re purposed the rod, mounted it on an Erick magnet, and put a 1" dial indicator on the end of the rod. mounted the magnet on the side of the head, and I could tell how much I was raising or lowering the head.

HellawellCustoms

Registered
Registered
Thank you everyone! Removed it yesterday! Only wish i would of done it sooner! That thing would get caught so many times on my vice.

[6]
[5] [7]