Removing spindle motor from B&S #2 plain milling machine

clouds

Registered
Registered
The "pump operating lever cam roll" in the spindle transmission case on my B&S #2 plain mill has separated into its component pieces - ball bearings and shreds of the cage. Unfortunately it is difficult to get to in place and I have not had much success in removing it. I plan instead to remove the "pump operating lever" entirely but to do so requires removing the "pump operating lever stud" which is held by a set screw and is perhaps threaded and in any case looks as if removing it requires removing the spindle motor.

I removed all 4 nuts holding the spindle motor onto the frame but have had zero luck in separating the motor from the frame - it refuses to budge!

I don't see any set screws on the motor shaft (in fact I can't see the motor shaft at all) and I would rather not remove the "brake operating yoke shaft" or any other brake parts unless required to remove the motor. Someone else n another forum had a question about removing the spindle motor a was referred to the Ron Peisker video, which shows no detail at all.

Does anyone know the proper procedure for removing the spindle motor?P6085621.JPGP6085619.JPG

P6085621.JPG P6085619.JPG

You might have to get a little rough with a persuasion bar to pry off the motor. The motor should have a "Love-Joy" spider type coupling between it and the input shaft going into the housing. The weight of that motor will fool you. Be carful!

have you managed to remove the motor
I did not. I decided instead to remove one of the spindle counter shafts to allow access to the dead bearing. It is really just a question of gaining access. It is very tight on the right hand side of the spindle transmission case. Removing the motor did not seem to guarantee that I could access the dead bearing. Removing the shaft definitely will.

You do have the manual for this machine right?

If by chance you don't there is one available on the vintagemachinery.org site for free.

Back