Removing the pin in the upper swivel Atlas/Craftsman 12" 101.07403

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I need to get the upper swivel (#10-302) off my lathe. However, the pins (#10-309) behind the square head set screws seem to be stuck. They didn't just fall out when I tipped/shook the part. I sprayed penetrating oil in there. I'm not sure if they are rusted in place or just a really tight fit.
Are there any trick to getting these out? Are they hardened steel? I thought maybe I could drill a hole in them and insert a rod in the hole to pull them out. Would a strong magnet on a stick work?

Jeff,

Unfortunately, we do not have the factory drawing on the 10-309 because it is still a stock item. I tried to call Clausing just now and ask Tom if he could tell me what the drawing called out for the material. Unfortunately, regardless of what Covid-19 has done to their schedule, on Fridays they close at 16:30 EST so it will be Monday before I can even try again. My guess, however, is that the parts are harder than ordinary mild steel. The lst time that I looked at one of mine, there was no scarring on the flat back where the square-head bolts hit it.

I doubt that a cylindrical magnet even with an aluminum or brass sleeve around it to keep the magnet from sticking to the side of the hole would be strong enough to pull it out. But I guess that you could try that first.

If you have a vertical or (less convenient) horizontal) mill or a drill press with an X-Y table and a vise on the table large enough to hold the cross slide and the lower part of the compound securely, you might try a solid carbide drill bit of 1/4" diameter or so.

Back