Renegade Prints (build Has Begun)

Most are made from Aluminum Bill. With that said Aluminum weighs approximately 1.56 ozs./ cubic inch. This will bring the gun in at around 65 lbs, Maybe a little more. Anything needed to be done to the barreled action will be done by the Gunsmith as he sees fit.

"Billy G"

Ah, OK. I had assumed that you were going to make the receiver and build the barreled action yourself. My bad. :)

The main reason I use CAD is because I can store a lot of final prints on a single CD instead of filling a whole filing cabinet with paper prints that may be all marked up with changes made during manufacturing.

I will be talking to you about the CAD thing Bill if this project goes as planned. As for the Barrel and Receiver, although my equipment is up to snuff it will take a Pto to get the results I am after. I have and recognize my own limitations. Now is a good time for a reality check folks. Before you start thinking OK this is a can do and I'd like to try, get one thing in your mind now, COST.

Materials ------------$700.00

Action --------------- $600.00 to $1350.00

Barrel --------------- $350.00 to $650.00

Trigger -------------$150.00 to ???????

You could easily top out a $4000.00 or more. Remember I did not add labor. Use $35.00/ hour and you now hit close to $8000.00.

Do you still want to play??????????

"Bill

Being an 03 collector and hobby gunsmith I sometimes pick up old barrels and receivers to bring back to life and can attest that parts alone can sometimes make it more costly than one thinks. The more quality you want the more the cost. When I first started collecting I found out fast to do my homework for parts before taking on a project as it can get quite costly. Let alone doing a project like Billy's.

No, not at the moment. Was there some particular reason for the question?

"Billy G"

The only reason I asked is, there are only 2 events that I know of that shoot rail guns in registered competition.

OK, thanks for the clarification, I thought maybe you saw something I missed.

"Billy G"

Manually drawing out a project has a certain therapeutic effect, doesn't it Bill? I must admit that I do most of my stuff with CAD, but every once in a while it is nice to sit down and do one using 'traditional' methods.

I like both approaches. I did my first manual drawing on my older brother's wood board with T square & triangles when he left engineering school to join the Air Force in '52. I graduated to a parallel rule in '63 and a drafting machine in '66. My first CAD experience was on a Mac IIc computer using Claris Cad. I graduated to AutoCad 2000 and jumped to Mechanical Desktop after that. I currently have my own AutoCad Inventor Light 2012 but only use the 2D program. Of all of them I liked the Mechanical Desktop the best. My favorite "get 'er done" approach for simple parts is using gel pens on cocktail napkins or "kitchen" pencils on any handy paper. For 3D I sketch by hand (cheating all of the time because I have an Industrial Design Degree from an art school) It's all fun.

Back