Renegade Prints (build Has Begun)

OK folks, after a few inquisitive PM's, this is a Rail Gun. Thank you Andre for the link.

"Billy G"

I was a Scout in the Corps and later did pretty well at the thousand yard line at 29 Stumps, but something about all this mechanical stuff just doesn't seem right. Doesn't mean I wouldn't try it, but I thought I was cheating when I had a sling wrapped around my left arm to steady the rifle. :D

Thanks for sharing the video, Bill... now I understand why they're called "rail guns"!

The only thing that only thing holds the Barrel, Action and Top Slide on the rails is gravity. You can lift the upper half off the rails at any time you wish.

"Billy G"

So the rearward movement of the action is just reaction vs. mass? What returns the top slide to battery, gravity? or is there a mechanical construct that controls or limits movement of the top slide?

Both good questions and they raise a third question. What stops the slide from going too far forward after the shot? The first question you answered yourself although some use rubber bands, surgical tubing, etc. chord to control the rearward recoil and forward motion. The next question, most just push he thing back. I am incorporating Springs for recoil and forward gain and a stop to bring it back to zero.
"Billy G"

I think I like your idea better than the rubber bands. :)

Repeatability of "bring it back to zero" or back into forward battery will be critical for accuracy of follow up shots. I of course assume you know this and already have a plan. :)

I think I seen on some of the pictures and videos what looked like limit travel stops both front and rear. On the pictures I sent to you it looks like they used a metal stop up front and non metal in rear. Also the rubber band and spring return were used on a few. Some it just looked like they used there thump on there trigger hand to gently push it back to forward position.

Yup, we has a plan. Zero will be Zero after every shot. Five more corrected prints to go and viola, poof, done. 81 hours of drafting and correcting so far.

"Billy G"

That's all folks -- Done deal -- Fini, take your pick. It's been a total of 85 hours and the final prints (31 pages and 1 full sized assembly drawing) are done. I wasn't going to finish the last one till tomorrow and I never push the envelope. To close to stop. Now I have tomorrow free. Made one print with a couple of crooked lines. I was doing them again when the wife says what's crooked, it's an election year. I nearly peed myself. Gotta luv em.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Back