Repainting Atlas 10100 Lathe

Hi all. I know this thread is super old but thought I would offer that I also just picked up an atlas clausing 10100. It’s in pretty good shape but also seriously considering repainting the head stock and bed. Mine came with an aloris ma tool post which I consider really lucky given the $500+ cost for a new one on the aloris website. One thing I think I need at some point is a steady rest. eBay lists several original steady rests for this lathe but they are listed from $200-250. Any recommendations for another make and model? Should I look for a center point of 6”? Thanks in advance

I agree that a steady rest is essential. If you are willing to build a kit, this company has castings. I have their ball turner. It is nice. They list the steady rest as out of stock. You could contact them and ask when they will get more. They recently changed hands - the gentleman who founded the company retired.

Regarding the headstock and bed.... My opinion is to resist the urge to paint. If you absolutely have to paint it, do not remove the headstock from the bed - you may disturb their alignment. If I were looking to buy a lathe I would be skeptical of one that had been painted. Just my opinion - others will disagree.

Thank you for the advice! I’ll check out that website. Good point about disassembly..I hadn’t thought about potential for misalignment

Back