Repair a 1 inch wide by 1/4 inch thick by 14 inch diameter round cast aluminum clamp

How would a splint work? Two pieces on either side, curved to the diameter of the tube and anchored to the block. They would extend 4 inches to overlap with the broken piece. Then a machiend, rounded part to attach to the top of the broken piece about 3/8 thick. This wouls all be bolted together. The broken piece up into the third piece and then the two splint side pieces into the third piece.
The only draw back is the tensile force is all carried in the bolts. I think that can work.

Stainless shim stock lining with some countersunk rivets and lots of epoxy?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have decided to replace it. I will start with 1/8 x 1 inch steel and roll it into the correct radius. I will then laminate 3 or 4 pieces into a single 'half'. I will weld along the edges to lock the laminate together. Steel is more ductile than aluminum and it will be much less susceptiable to tension breakage. It may not look as great, but I won't be fearing it failing.

I have purchased a roller bender and have 2 pieces made. The role is satisfactroy, not perfect. The steel is 1/8 x 1 by 47 1/2. I haven't fitted the steel to the telescope tube; I suspect the steel is ductile enough to make a good fit. I am considering 2 wraps side by side layering the third over the center and welding the third on the seams. This would make a stiff structure that would be wide enough to distribute the weight. I would then attach this to the original mounting fixture.
Rolling is an art. I cannot be too fast or the twists. Even with that it is necessary to adjust the output.

I would think that a single layer of 1/8" x 1" steel strap would already be way stronger than the original aluminum part.

Your idea of two side-by-side with another on top will be overkill.
Note: I am not saying don't bother, I will often apply overkill to projects just because I want to.
The cost here is negligible, another couple sticks of steel and some fun time in the shop.
The upgrade in strength will be huge.

-brino

Back