Repair Of My 15" Sheldon Lathe

4GSR

Forum Guest
Register Today
I bought a 15" Sheldon lathe this past year and has been storage since then. I pulled the apron and carriage off the lathe stored in my shop until I can make room for the lathe. Meantime, I started cleaning up the apron over the holidays and have many repairs that need to be made to the apron. The lathe was born around 1960-1961 from what I've been able to find out. It is a Model ER60P serial number 25267. It is the model with the two lever QC gear box and single rod apron. The apron looks like it left the factory without any oil. Most everything in the apron is rusty, full of shavings and a lot of plastic shavings stuffed in there. There are two plate type clutches, one is salvageable and the other one is trashed out. Luckily I have a set of clutch plates I bought many years ago for my other Sheldon lathe for a backup set that will get used. You can still get the clutch plates from Carlyle Johnson Machine Co. for a hefty price! I may still buy another clutch pack to keep on hand. Here are some pictures of "before" and pictures of some of the repairs I'm doing now. Enjoy!
DSCN2509.JPG DSCN2510.JPG DSCN2511.JPG DSCN2512.JPG DSCN2513.JPG

Hi,

That looks to be a great project - (I enjoy rebuilding machines) - keep the updates coming; they are good teaching tools.

Be well,
DBN aka John

Plan on keeping it, or down the road to finance something else? I always enjoy bringing something back from the grave. Will be fun watching it come together. Mike

Initially, it will take the place of my 20" L & S lathe. Not quite as big as it is. The main reason for the larger swing is to allow me to bore out brake drums and face rotors. I'm limited on my 13" lathe a bit.

Looks a lot like a Logan I did recently - aside from the crud, your gears look to be in pretty good shape. I enjoy bringing them back as well and that one looks like lots of fun - it'll be a nice lathe when you're done.

Here's how the gears turned out. A buddy of mine has a phosphate system set up for phosphating parts for his customers. He phosphated the gears for me and turned out pretty nice.
DSCN3097.JPG

Looking forward to doing those operations on new to me lathe. Any tips on set up? Thanks, Mike

Initially, it will take the place of my 20" L & S lathe. Not quite as big as it is. The main reason for the larger swing is to allow me to bore out brake drums and face rotors. I'm limited on my 13" lathe a bit.

Back