Repair/Restore Logan 820 lathe

Got my gears back from Tom at Hill Top Machine Works (NCJeep). Check his videos on YouTube. Can’t tell you how much I appreciate it. Tom saved me more than $900 off what the new Logan gears cost. I’ve attached some pictures. I’m going to do a write up on what gears were used etc in case another Logan owner faces similar problem. Again, Tom I really appreciate it!

DE173293-62E1-48DA-ADF1-12FD89401CDE.jpeg

3E907147-57F2-41FA-AA1A-29325B5EAFF9.jpeg

4867A5F5-3BFE-4129-80AD-C7DE47410A4A.jpeg

420A03F0-B713-4788-BC61-4A1B69F0A05B.jpeg

3978FB87-27B4-4847-ABF5-5684F1F1D9D3.jpeg

Got my gears back from Tom at Hill Top Machine Works (NCJeep). Check his videos on YouTube. Can’t tell you how much I appreciate it. Tom saved me more than $900 off what the new Logan gears cost. I’ve attached some pictures. I’m going to do a write up on what gears were used etc in case another Logan owner faces similar problem. Again, Tom I really appreciate it!

Here is NCjeepers video of the gear mod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just found this thread. Your welcome Ken and I hope the modified gears work out for you.

They worked great! Got it back together and will post some pics. Gotta get the motor problem fixed and I’ll be good to go.

Good to hear that. Some pics would be nice.

I did a dumb thing, I got so involved in making sure that I got it right that I completely forgot to take pictures until I was done! I’ll put some pictures on after I get it cleaned up.

Its done! Everything works as it should. I ended up replacing 4 gears, several bushings, backup nut on the spindle and the wiring. I appreciate all the help I've received here. Guanteed that I would still have a pile of parts except for this forum. I'm going to do a seperate write up on the gears and how it all worked out. All told I've put 208 dollars in a 700 dollar lathe. I think I got a great deal! Now to find a mill, bandsaw, tooling, etc. etc.
Thanks again to everyone who helped me.
Ken

Well I saw a nice Atlas 7 shaper for sale on E-bay in your backyard. Might be worth checking out if you want more equipment. :)

Back