Repair/Restore Logan 820 lathe

Now I’m starting to clean up the gears etc. under the left side cover. Someone believed in lubrication. There was so much grease packed in there that you could hardly see the gears. The picture is after I used a roll of paper towels to remove the grease. Disassembled and cleaned everything. Too much is better than too little!

959F631F-7627-4B06-B646-B3934D5AD062.jpeg

Vincent, you are having way too much fun. :encourage:

Yes, I know! I’m really enjoying it. A couple of years ago due to health issues, we had to move from a 3 story house to a single level. Circumstances being what they were I had to sell my Logan 200. I was just starting to learn a little but I’m happy to say I’m back in the game! After the lathe is done I’m going to start looking for a mill. I’m really getting into this!

Gotta have a mill so you can make stuff for the lathe....or is it the other way around. Either way, both are a must. And then.....

Still working on cleaning the 820. Also got the motor mounted. Replaced the 3 carriage bolts (5/16) with four 3/8 bolts. I’m pretty sure that it is not the original and it also has a single step pulley instead of a 2 step. I will replace that when I can. I was able to find what size I needed from another post here. I’ve found a lot of information looking on this site. I’ve started cleaning the apron assembly. There was no oil in but there is no roughness or play that I can find. To me the gears look really good, just need cleaning. I’ve attached pictures of the gears. Does it look like they are ok?
Thanks a lot!

BAA2D0C7-276D-47F0-819D-91F188FD0197.jpeg

BAA6DDEC-08DE-4CD5-A14E-3F03A7C95524.jpeg

167F8219-0174-48EA-AE69-DC8ED7EFFAD8.jpeg

The worm gear looks good. Does it have side to side play in it? It's pretty rare to find one of these machines with anything more than a little bit of sludge in the bottom of the apron. A bead of silicone on the bottom third of the apron halves when reassembling will keep the oil where it belongs.

Thanks for the info. I will do that. I can’t detect any side play in the worm. I’ve tried to look closely at all of the gears and the only problem I’ve found was the damaged gears in he QCGB.

Vincent, your mention of "side play" caught my eye. How are all the shafts and bushings?

Five years ago I overhauled/restored my 1944-vintage Logan 820. Although completely operational, its maintenance had clearly been neglected. All the gears were fine. But the carriage and QCGB had bad wear on bushings and shafts. In particular, the front shaft in the gearbox (the one the two gear selector arms slide back and forth) was badly worn. Most of the bushings were worn enough that I replaced them all and I made new shafts.

This was my "Welcome to retirement project", it kept me busy for over a year. I don't remember how many times I had the gearbox out and completely disassembled. I took it apart to assess it, take measurements and make sketches of the shafts, then reassembled and installed it so I could use it to make new shafts. Then again tear down to install my homemade parts and new bushings, and once again reassemble.

That QCGB slider shaft was so worn, I decided to improve on the original and add bushings on the gear selector arms where factory design had been steel-on-steel (cast iron?). That was a long risky operation. If interested in details, look back to my long series of posts, "Greg's Logan 820 Restoration".

Greg

Back