Repairing destroyed vise

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
IMG_20171025_001333.jpg

Is there any hope for this vise?
I have a new chinese vise coming. But this one is bigger and actually better, but it's been chewwwwed up. I could use the new vise to make new jaws, but is there any hope of point in repairing the bottom to bring back some accuracy when I use parallels?

At first I thought that this should be in the "joke of the day" forum. That thing sure has seen better days.

However...just however, I bet someone here will have a suggestion for restoration. Is it a name brand? Surely not a Kurt??

David

JB weld? What are these other epoxies?
I don't remember the brand. I'll check when I'm home.

JB Weld is a brand of epoxies sold in at least the US, many different products under this brand. I have had good results with JB Weld. The original formula takes a long time to cure, but hard once it cures and supposed to be good for over 500 deg F.

I just found JB weld at home Depot. Awesome. Bought two packages.
That was easy for once!

I have a project in the vise right now. Once I'm done I'll have to do a major degrease.

My experience with the jb weld is it shrinks quite abit when dry. It may take a couple tries to get those holes filled all the way

Use a source of heat with JB weld to cure it, a light bulb (do they still make them?) works well. You want the temp at about 100 degrees F for about 4 hours to get it nice and hard. Add some steel filings for even harder fill, like those big dimples in your vise. I'm a happy JB welder LOL
Mark S.

Back