Repairing destroyed vise

I mix the JB Weld on a piece of masking tape. I have not needed to mix large volumes. I put the masking tape with the residue aside so I can test it cured later. If the residue cured, I feel confident all the epoxy in the fix should be cured.

For holes on the side or through holes, cover the side/bottom with masking tape. The JB Weld will flow for a long time - slowly but enough to mostly drain a through hole if not blocked at the bottom. Same for the side.

I've done huge epoxy pours on live edge wood bar tops. I hate epoxy. Lol. But it does look great and is very workable when hard. I'll see how this stuff goes once the big block of aluminum comes out of the vise.

Yes it's runny so you need to make little "dams" out of tape or cardboard. I like using that blue painter's tape cause you can peel it off afterwards.
Mark

Yeah. This live edge had knot holes going straight through. Those dark spots in the bottom of the picture. Went straight through. had to mask and block with plywood and epoxy still came out. Had to do it in three pours.
IMG_20170615_170117.jpg
IMG_20170615_170058.jpg

IMG_20170615_170046.jpg

I had pondered welding, but I don't want to risk warping it due to heat.

I think if take your time and do center tig braze outwards in small areas over several hours . Being cast I figure the bronze should flow in and fill without distortion . Done slow it'll be there to stay. After each heating I suggest keeping it warm for a few hours to overnight .
I don't know if jbweld Will hold up with cutting fluids . I did a repair on an cast iron block kohler engine the owner said use it to fill a crack inside and out. After it cured for 24 hours I rebuilt the engine . Needless to say it ran a few days and came back leaking and blown.
There are other metal filled epoxy devcon. Has some really good ones do your homework and do what you thinks right.

Back