Repairing machine vice

I finally got around to making the crank wheel for my refurbished vice.
I kind of forgot to take pictures of the proses,but you will get the idea.
Firstly I had to make a 20mm square broach,something I've never done before. I did not have drillrod available so I used Key steel.
20180521_090136.jpg
I know this isn't the proper way to do it but it got the job done and I would be able to use the broach again. I made the broach copying a YouTube clip and then heated it bright red and quenched it in water. Well the square shape in the bush tells the story(so it worked ). I put the bush in the dividing head and made 3 M10 holes on the 10degree flat of the bush plus a M8 hole for a locking grubscrew.
I then made three crank handles and a end cap with a square to pressfit into the bush just finnish it of.
And that was that.
20180521_090043.jpg
20180521_153306.jpg
20180521_161022-1-1.jpg
Looks good and works greate.
Thanks for viewing .

Michael

Terrific - my vice is shaking in it's boots - it can see it might be in for a hard time.

I think your handle is just perfection. Clean and smooth like it should be . In fact I want one on mine now. So that means three of them. So ill gather materials for six and be ready. Even be nicer on the drill mill then it's plastic crappy one. YUPP great job.

I think your handle is just perfection. Clean and smooth like it should be . In fact I want one on mine now. So that means three of them. So ill gather materials for six and be ready. Even be nicer on the drill mill then it's plastic crappy one. YUPP great job.
Thanks Silverbullet,you can make the wheel shafts as long as you want,mine is 14mm×120mm long,but can make them a bit shorter if you want. Can't have to much leverage can you.... I made the endcap that fit perfectly into the square hole as an after thought and am glad I did,it finishes it off nicely.

Back