Repairing my Electrix hotwire shop lamp ...

wquiles

Active User
Registered
I am a huge fan of having LOTS of quality light when doing machining work, and in the lathe, I typically have 3 sources:
- a hotwire which is fixed, points down in front of the chuck
- one fixed LED lamp that is bolted to the carriage
- and one smaller, portable lamp that is usually mounted in the carriage, but that I move depending on the operation to get light right where I need it.

This post is about the hotwire lamp, which sits above my lathe, an Electrix S631 with a magnetic base. The lamp itself has proven very reliable, and it seems to have some soft-start since the bulb always comes up slowly, and since I am "still" using the same bulb that the lamp came with 4-5 years ago - simply amazing, specially given how often I use the lathe.

The base of the lamp sits on top of the control box for the lathe, and it over hangs on top of the chuck. This of course puts strain on the base of the flexible arm, but it has been solid for about 4-5 years, until a couple of weeks ago when this happened:
DSCF8351.JPG

I cleaned it, and used Devcon 2-part epoxy on my first repair attempt:
DSCF8364.JPG

And after about 1-2 weeks, it failed again. So this time I decided to try JB Weld. I not only cleaned everything really well, but I also roughed-up the surface to provide JB Weld the best chance possible to work well. I waited over 24 hours, and started doing machining work again.
DSCF8562.JPG

That lasted also about 1-2 weeks. It sheared off the JB Weld big time!
DSCF8652.JPG

DSCF8653.JPG

So I said to myself: screw this!. Lets throw this one away, and get a new one. But as I was getting stuff ready to throw away, I decided to completely dissasemble it to see if there was something I could "salvage" for a future project - except for the broken base, it is a very strong unit after all:
DSCF8661.JPG

That is when I realized that maybe there was something I could do - maybe I could make a new base. But I did not want to spend too much time, so I decided to try do something almost entirely on the lathe. Looking at my parts bin, I found a large Aluminum scrap round piece that looked "promising", since it had about the right diameter "as is". Plus this new base would be helpful when I convert this lamp to LED, specially now that I have the wonderful Nichia 219's at my disposal. So I started with the scrap piece:
DSCF8663.JPG

Did some light turning to clean it up:
DSCF8664.JPG

And then following the advice from Will, I decided to try parting it on the lathe - I have an Iscar Do-Grip which barely allows me to part the 3" diameter piece:
DSCF8665.JPG

DSCF8666.JPG

The base of the flexible arm has a male threaded part (1/8 - 27, N.P.T) and a matching female nut, so I decided to re-use these:
DSCF8667.JPG

So I bored the existing hole a little bit to clear the female nut:
DSCF8668.JPG

And then bore the inside to allow room for the wires, switch, and future LED Driver. I also designed a small area near the top which will be a press-fit for the OD of the female nut. Of course I did the boring in several passes, and then one final cleaning pass:
DSCF8669.JPG

DSCF8672.JPG

DSCF8673.JPG

I then took the sharp edge from the top (don't need anything else in the shop capable of giving me a cut!):
DSCF8674.JPG

Here is the semi-finished new base, with the broken one for comparison:
DSCF8675.JPG

I used the metal base (which houses the magnet) to mark the position of the holes:
DSCF8676.JPG

And then drill and tapped all screws using my laser to aid in spotting the middle of each marked hole:
DSCF8677.JPG

Since in the future this base will house an LED driver, I went ahead and cut some deep grooves to aid with air flow - plus yes, it makes it look like a piston:
DSCF8678.JPG

DSCF8679.JPG

Since the walls are so freaking thick compared to the plastic base, I had to go back to the mill and cut a recess for the ON/OFF switch:
DSCF8680.JPG

This is how everything looks like before bolting up - yeah, I know the 4x holes are not concentric - I only cared that they matched the 4x holes in the base, so this was "close enough":
DSCF8681.JPG

Here is the assembled, and once again fully functional lamp:
DSCF8682.JPG

DSCF8683.JPG

I hope some time this year to go back and do the full LED conversion :D

Will

DSCF8351.JPG

DSCF8364.JPG

DSCF8562.JPG

DSCF8652.JPG

DSCF8653.JPG

DSCF8661.JPG

DSCF8663.JPG

DSCF8664.JPG

DSCF8665.JPG

DSCF8666.JPG

DSCF8667.JPG

DSCF8668.JPG

DSCF8669.JPG

DSCF8672.JPG

DSCF8673.JPG

DSCF8674.JPG

DSCF8675.JPG

DSCF8676.JPG

DSCF8677.JPG

DSCF8678.JPG

DSCF8679.JPG

DSCF8680.JPG

DSCF8681.JPG

DSCF8682.JPG

DSCF8683.JPG

Great job. Better than the original by miles. I like the grooves you put in, nice touch.

Jeff

Great job. Better than the original by miles. I like the grooves you put in, nice touch.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff. I used the repaired lamp all day today and it was great not having to worry about the lamp falling down :mad:

Luckily for me the two times the lamp broke, I was "not" using the lathe when it happened :)

Will

That turned out very nice! The looks fit well with a shop environment.

Thank you guys. It really felt "good" to repair it, rather than just trow it away.

Since I started with a scrap piece of Aluminum, the cost of materials was basically zero, so it made this project a little more rewarding
biggrin.gif

Will

biggrin.gif

Nice repair job Will it really looks good, I see in picture 17 that you have a inside Mic what is the range on it?

I have a Brown & Sharpe 1" I hope to fine a 2" on ebay they sure are nice to have.

Paul

Nice repair job Will it really looks good, I see in picture 17 that you have a inside Mic what is the range on it?

I have a Brown & Sharpe 1" I hope to fine a 2" on ebay they sure are nice to have.

Paul

Thanks Paul :eek:

Yes, that is a Starrett 0-1.1" inside mic (I have two of them - I keep each one in a slightly different range), and I also have (but do not use as often) a 1-2" Starrett as well.

Will

Back