• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Some users may still have issues remaining logged into the forum. Please delete old bookmarks. If you are still having issues, go to the Site Issues forum here and let us know EXACTLY what you clicked on before the login issue arose, so we can try to track it down. We are working on this, and appreciate your patience. Thank you.

[4]

Repairs And Upgrades On My Burke #4

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

dgehricke

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Mark, I went down to my shop and did a quick measurement of the center to center distance its about 4 ⅜ inches
I'll measure the slot in the morning and I'll also get a measurement with calipers in the morn.
Thanks for the info on the cast iron.
Regards
dgehricke

dgehricke

Active User
Mark,
I went to my garage and I took the head off the Burke and I disassembled it so I could get the best possible measurements.
I made a template of cardboard with some of the measurements, I have also included some more photos of the base separated and
laid out for you to glee some more info before you start cutting the cast iron.
#1 The center to center measurement from the 2" TOP hole to the center of the LOWER hole is 4.316 measured from the template very close to 4 3/8
#2 The distance from the center of the LOWER hole to the center of the slot is 1.780.
I am not sure if all these back plates are the same as its a pretty good chunk of cast iron some of the measurements may be off a little, If I may
suggest it may benefit you to make a drawing or template based on the photos and sizes i have given you here to be sure it all lines up before
you start cutting. If you are interested in the template I made I can mail it to you. Let me know
I can't seem to upload photos every one i try I get ERROR uploading your file. look below they finally posted. alot of the photos would help a lot.
Regards
Wally Gehricke
dgehricke

Last edited:

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Wally,

I had trouble with photos for a while. I found, I was taking them with my phone and that was the problem. I found when I take a photo, I have to edit it. I crop it just a little bit and save it. Then my photos load correctly. If you are using your phone to take photos, try cropping a little bit , then save. Then upload the photos.

Thank you for the dimensions. I think the photos would help a lot. If you can't load them here , can you email them , maybe?

my email is. markfrazier16137@yahoo.com

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Wally,

Thank you for the photos and in formation. Armed with this, I think I can duplicate the plate.

dgehricke

Active User
Mark, Just a last try at upload for the photos, I'll be damned not one single error.
Regards
dgehricke

Attachments

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Now that I have all the needed information , I am starting the cast iron mounting plate for my vertical head. I have to check and double check as I can't afford to screw up this $86 hunk of cast iron. First I set it up in the band saw to cut it to size.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg Oops...... Had to turn it around because the arm hit the top.

I laid out the holes, but need a way to bore them. I don't have a boring head and besides there is no room to use a boring head on the Burke. I took a small 3" four jaw check and converted it into a boring head.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg These are the three parts I made to convert the chuck.

image.jpeg My finished boring head. image.jpeg
image.jpeg The boring setup installed on the mill. Now to set up the chunk of cast iron to bore. I will do this in the morning.

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
While the little chuck converted to a boring head works great, I found it did not have enough travel to bore the larger hole. So..... I resurrected a failed boring head project from about a year and a half ago that really went bad. After about 4 hours of drilling, milling, turning, and reaming, the failed mess started to look pretty good. I got the pancake boring head completed and works great. ( it is a pancake boring head because it is much shorter than a standard boring head, which is a necessity for a Burke mill)
image.jpeg image.jpeg

The cast iron plate for my vertical head is coming along nicely. I'm boring the holes now. I found the distance between them to be 4.250"

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
image.jpeg I got the holes bored. They are pretty close to perfect. Next on to the slot. ( boy cast iron is dirty, but it machines great. Thank God for the shop vac! )

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
I got the slot cut and took photos of the setup because I just know someone will ask how I cut that curved slot. Unfortunately those photos are lost forever because when I came in the house, I put my dirty clothes in the washer and washed my new IPhone. It doesn't work anymore and everything on it is lost FOREVER :bawling:.

I have insurance on it and will have a new one in two days :).

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Mark, bad karma about your iPhone. I wonder if your new one can store pics on iCloud? If so, might be a good place to upload stuff to.

Great looking boring head!

Glenn

Silverbullet

Mark ,did you hit any hard spots in the cast iron? The older cast iron sometimes would ruin a cutter real quick . I used to turn lots of cast years ago so much so when I sweat it would be rusty. But great material to work with , as you found out don't ever be afraid to use it . It's great will last forever and almost anything can be made from it. I've got a few pieces of cast I'm going to try it's old window weights. My house is very old and still uses them. Even a couple dumbbells 12 pounders I think. The four ends are around 3 1/2 x 3" . I'm Always ckin for stock around the neighborhood picked up a 4" table mt band sander. Little oil and cleaning and now I've a second sander. Your Burke is looking great . Around me they are overpriced at least my price. Glad that your doing well still in my prayers. Gary

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
This cast iron is great stuff. Cuts like butter. It is dirty though, but as long as you cut it dry, cleanup is easy.

I took lots of photos today. Spent 6 hours milling and sawing to get to where I am.

This is the rotary table setup I am using to carve this piece.
20160801_111855.jpg
20160801_111849.jpg

This is where I left off yesterday.
20160801_111906.jpg

Next was some creative sawing to remove bulk material.
20160801_114617.jpg 20160801_120324.jpg
20160801_120559.jpg

Here the bulk of the front is sawed of to thickness. Now back to the rotary table.
20160801_121552.jpg

The bottom is trimmed to size.
20160801_130606.jpg

The sides are sawed at an angle for a rough shape. This will all get cleaned up on the mill.
20160801_135158.jpg

The sides have been milled to finish.
20160801_135207.jpg
20160801_164932.jpg

I made a boo-boo on the edge of the slot. It won't hurt anything but it makes me mad. I just wasn't paying close enough attention.
20160801_164939.jpg

It is mostly done. Now to finish the top where the clamp bolt goes. I will do that tomorrow or Wednesday.
20160801_173001.jpg 20160801_173009.jpg

Attachments

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Mark, bad karma about your iPhone. I wonder if your new one can store pics on iCloud? If so, might be a good place to upload stuff to.

Great looking boring head!

Glenn
Thanks. I do store some stuff on the cloud,but I did not back my phone up. Guess that is what I get for being lazy.

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
I finished the mounting plate for the vertical head on my Burke mill. I am extremely happy with the way it turned out. It is as close to an original as I could ever get. It works great and is even made from cast iron like the original.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I want to thank everyone who helped me with photos and dimensions. It made this job a lot easier.

Attachments

Silverbullet

You've done another fantastic job , glad your feeling better . Wish I had my legs back , sucks not being able to do all the things I need to do. Let alone the stuff I want. I'm really liking the mill your working on. They have a pretty good reputation of being well made. Hard to find a decent one , if YA do they think there selling a Bridgeport. Made it more special by using the mill itself to build the missing piece. Take care and keep building its a pleasure for us here. And for me to live vicariously through the forum.

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. I thought it great to use the machine to entirely make its own needed part.

jeff_g1137

Active User
Hi
Great work yet again.
I think i would have left the part full thickness, less work & stronger , it does not look to hit anything, but may not look as good ???
Hope you are keeping well & all the best.

jeff

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Hi
Great work yet again.
I think i would have left the part full thickness, less work & stronger , it does not look to hit anything, but may not look as good ???
Hope you are keeping well & all the best.

jeff
Thank you. You are partially correct. First ... I wanted it to look like the original. I also found from experience the less mass around there the more room to clear the work. It needed to be the right thickness or I would have to make a new clamp bolt for the tilt. It is twice as thick at the top for rigidity on the overrarm. ...... and finally, I am such an anal perfectionist, I wanted it close to original. But you are right, it could be just a heavy block. The previous one I made was a steel plate. While it functioned, I didn't like the look. It looked homemade.

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
You've done another fantastic job , glad your feeling better . Wish I had my legs back , sucks not being able to do all the things I need to do. Let alone the stuff I want. I'm really liking the mill your working on. They have a pretty good reputation of being well made. Hard to find a decent one , if YA do they think there selling a Bridgeport. Made it more special by using the mill itself to build the missing piece. Take care and keep building its a pleasure for us here. And for me to live vicariously through the forum.
The Burke is a great little mill. It is a small mill but really heavy duty. I take .100" DOC on steel. I manage to do most everything on it. Once in a while I need something bigger.

I know how fraustrating it is to not have the ability to stand or walk. I spent ten years on crutches and two years in a wheel chair. Medical marvels have got me out of the chair temporarily. I know the time is coming when I will be back in it all the time instead of once in a while. I still can only stand for minutes and must be very careful walking. I use crutches when out but I stumble around the house and sit on a stool in the shop. I refuse to let my "handicap" limit me. Where there is will there is a way.

dgehricke

Active User
Mark,
Your back plate for the Vertical Head is a Job Well Done it looks great.
Regards
dgehricke

[6]
[5] [7]