Repairs And Upgrades On My Burke #4

Mark, I went down to my shop and did a quick measurement of the center to center distance its about 4 ⅜ inches
I'll measure the slot in the morning and I'll also get a measurement with calipers in the morn.
Thanks for the info on the cast iron.
Regards
dgehricke

Mark,
I went to my garage and I took the head off the Burke and I disassembled it so I could get the best possible measurements.
I made a template of cardboard with some of the measurements, I have also included some more photos of the base separated and
laid out for you to glee some more info before you start cutting the cast iron.
#1 The center to center measurement from the 2" TOP hole to the center of the LOWER hole is 4.316 measured from the template very close to 4 3/8
#2 The distance from the center of the LOWER hole to the center of the slot is 1.780.
I am not sure if all these back plates are the same as its a pretty good chunk of cast iron some of the measurements may be off a little, If I may
suggest it may benefit you to make a drawing or template based on the photos and sizes i have given you here to be sure it all lines up before
you start cutting. If you are interested in the template I made I can mail it to you. Let me know
I can't seem to upload photos every one i try I get ERROR uploading your file. look below they finally posted. alot of the photos would help a lot.
Regards
Wally Gehricke
dgehricke

Last edited:
Wally,

I had trouble with photos for a while. I found, I was taking them with my phone and that was the problem. I found when I take a photo, I have to edit it. I crop it just a little bit and save it. Then my photos load correctly. If you are using your phone to take photos, try cropping a little bit , then save. Then upload the photos.

Thank you for the dimensions. I think the photos would help a lot. If you can't load them here , can you email them , maybe?

my email is. markfrazier16137@yahoo.com

Wally,

Thank you for the photos and in formation. Armed with this, I think I can duplicate the plate.

Mark, Just a last try at upload for the photos, I'll be damned not one single error.
Regards
dgehricke

base with eccentric bushing.jpg

Bolt and washer .jpg

Bolt position.jpg

Cardboard templete.jpg

Center to center distance.jpg

Thickness view.jpg

On the Machine.jpg

FRONT view when mounted.jpg

Now that I have all the needed information , I am starting the cast iron mounting plate for my vertical head. I have to check and double check as I can't afford to screw up this $86 hunk of cast iron. First I set it up in the band saw to cut it to size.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg Oops...... Had to turn it around because the arm hit the top.

I laid out the holes, but need a way to bore them. I don't have a boring head and besides there is no room to use a boring head on the Burke. I took a small 3" four jaw check and converted it into a boring head.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg These are the three parts I made to convert the chuck.

image.jpeg My finished boring head.image.jpeg
image.jpeg The boring setup installed on the mill. Now to set up the chunk of cast iron to bore. I will do this in the morning.

While the little chuck converted to a boring head works great, I found it did not have enough travel to bore the larger hole. So..... I resurrected a failed boring head project from about a year and a half ago that really went bad. After about 4 hours of drilling, milling, turning, and reaming, the failed mess started to look pretty good. I got the pancake boring head completed and works great. ( it is a pancake boring head because it is much shorter than a standard boring head, which is a necessity for a Burke mill)
image.jpeg image.jpeg

The cast iron plate for my vertical head is coming along nicely. I'm boring the holes now. I found the distance between them to be 4.250"

Back