Replace or repair argon flow meter regulator

That's why am asking about the trade off's. If the cheap import regulator lasts for awhile, it might be better to spend the $40 on that instead.

BREAKING NEWS! I just got out my last flowmeter last night. A really nice, old, Victor HRF with the glass tube. It work great for 4 out of the 6 TIG welds that I needed to do. Then, poof, this flowmeter broke in the same way, and gas poured out the relief hole. Now, I have three broken flowmeters sitting on the shelf, two Victors and one Victor clone (that's stamped, Made in USA). I think I'm going to call the LWS where I refilled the tank of argon and ask them for suggestions. It wasn't overfilled. In fact, it was short-filled when I got it.

Wow. I hate to say its a disposable world but...
So the cheap flow meter on my mig is 18 years old....zero issues. The other one on my scratch start TIG is 13 years old, the one on my HF start TIG is 6 years old. Zero issues on any of them. Really odd you're having this issue. But yeah, I buy em cheap and (if it ever happens) I'll just replace them.

Hey, if I could get 13 years out of a cheap regulator, I'd be satisfied. I just went to the LWS. They told me that they could rebuild at half the price of new. It sounded good but after I went there it got kind of flaky. They said they will get back to me in a week with an estimate. A cheapy sounds better and better.

I ended taking the regulator to the welding store since they said they could rebuild for half the cost of new. I looked at their regulators which were private house label. They were $80 and 100 for two dial and rotameter tube, respectively. They wouldn't give me a written estimate, and the guy told me that they would call me with the estimate. I ended up getting a call yesterday, and they told me to come over and pick it up. Hmmmm, no estimate? I went there and the guy told me $82 and looked me in the eye, and said, that ok? I replied that they said half, and he said if I have a problem, they'll keep the regulator and sell it to pay for the repair. I kind of like to keep the money moving locally, especially during this time of covid-19, but this seemed kind of flaky. I can see why someone would rather pay $35 for an import with free shipping. Hopefully, this repair will last a long time. The person at the welding store assured me that the repair had a warranty and that it should last for at least ten years, but he wouldn't give me anything in writing. Admittedly, this is Silicon valley, and the marketing practice are kind of entitled.

I despise the tactic of not giving estimates and then doing the work without seeking customer permission so they can charge whatever they want. It's the principle of the matter. I'm sure when that person goes out to dine with their family, they would not blindly order from the menu, only to receive their meal, eat it, and then be charged whatever their server felt like charging them at that moment. Yet they do it to others. Despicable.

I had a similar experience here in Charlotte buying steel tubing. I walked out of the office never to return. Left them holding the cut stock. I found a better local supplier.
Robert

Verbal warranty? to me that is the same as No Warranty. Also saying they will call with an estimate then repairing without getting your approval is also BS. It it happened to me, it would likely be our last transaction together.

Back