Replacement 3 Jaw Chuck

Generally, 3-jaw chucks are heavier than 4-jaw (because of the scroll, mostly). And chucks with 2-piece jaws will usually be heavier than ones with solid jaws. With either type, you have to make sure that you don't run the jaws out so far that they hit the ways or saddle wings, which can happen with an 8" chuck. A decent 8" 3-jaw is going to be expensive and weigh a ton. Stick with the best 5" or 6" you can afford. And maybe buy an 8" 4-jaw.

Like Robert said , a lot depends on the type of work you do. I have both a 3 and 4 jaw 6" and the headstock mount Jacobs chuck but what I use the most is beautiful little Craftsman 3" 4 jaw . I make both a lot of small parts and also long tubes that I turn off center to make variable thickness walls.
HWF

I have the same Union U-435 chuck with a broken # 2 jaw. Maybe we can get one good chuck out of the three chucks or even two chucks depending on which jaw grandpaswagon needs?

That might well work.

I have a good #1 & #3 jaw plus the whole chuck with a 1 1/2 x 8 TPI thread that I don't need since I bought another chuck.

I have a Craftsman (Atlas) 12"x36" bench lathe that has a broken 3 jaw chuck. I don't see where I can find the replacement parts to repair it, other than going through eBay (or similar) and getting something that may or may not work.

My question is, are all of the smaller chucks (say 6" and less) using the same spindle size and thread pitch? I looked in my manual, but it doesn't mention anything about the size of the threads that mount the chuck to the spindle. I did a quick measurement and they appear to be 1 1/2 x 8 tpi - does that sound correct?

There are a lot of chucks on eBay right now, and if I can just replace the entire chuck that may be the quickest way to get back to work.
I have a complete chuck with both sets of Jaws message me if your interested. I know its about 3 years late but I thought I reply

No, they are not all the same. 1-1/2"-8 is common to a lot of 9" through 12" lathes. But 1"-8 is another common size. It is used on the Craftsman 101.07301 6" made by Atlas, and apparently a lot of smaller wood lathes that Sears used to sell. 1"-10 was the size that Atlas used on the 612, 618 and MK2 6" lathes and on the mills. 3/4"-16 was once another common size found on small chucks. However, whether or not you need to worry about what the threads are depends upon whether or not your existing threads and register area are bad. If they aren't bad, then you could possibly find your repair parts on another model number chuck. But it probably has to be from the same contractor.

No, they are not all the same. 1-1/2"-8 is common to a lot of 9" through 12" lathes. But 1"-8 is another common size. It is used on the Craftsman 101.07301 6" made by Atlas, and apparently a lot of smaller wood lathes that Sears used to sell. 1"-10 was the size that Atlas used on the 612, 618 and MK2 6" lathes and on the mills. 3/4"-16 was once another common size found on small chucks. However, whether or not you need to worry about what the threads are depends upon whether or not your existing threads and register area are bad. If they aren't bad, then you could possibly find your repair parts on another model number chuck. But it probably has to be from the same contractor.
The one I have is a 5" Union Chuck U-435 it has 1 1/2 -8 thread

Thank you much for the insight.

I was thinking of getting a replacement 6" and keeping my Union 5" in hopes that one day I will find a replacement jaw for the broken one.
My chuck is a Union U-435 has both sets of jaws it is for sale

Back