[4]

Replacement 6mm Ball Oiler / Oil Hole Cover / Button Oiler

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

ohland

Registered
Anyone have good luck with a certain seller or manufacturer? I see the flood of cheap press fit ones from China... Gits do not seem to make metric? Mafta is somewhat pricey, but if the blasted ball bearing does not drop into the headstock, it might be worth it.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)

WCraig

Registered
Are you positive you need a metric size? The Gits oilers that I got (cap style) were 7-9 thous oversize and would not start in the existing hole in my Atlas 618. I used a 'mandrel' and filed them down enough to get them in.

Craig
Well, kinda like a 'mandrel' because I didn't have a working lathe! Used a close-fitting drill bit with some masking tape and mounted in the drill press. A hack, yes, but sometimes 'ya gotta do what ya gotta do'!

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Anyone have good luck with a certain seller or manufacturer? I see the flood of cheap press fit ones from China... Gits do not seem to make metric? Mafta is somewhat pricey, but if the blasted ball bearing does not drop into the headstock, it might be worth it.
Hi ohland,
here you go.... ball oiler
https://www.mcmaster.com/metric-grease-fittings - (it's about half way down the page)
item #2421K34 $8.26 for a package of 5

ohland

Registered

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
the mc master units will work with your plastic squeeze bottle too!!
good luck :)

middle.road

Actively Learning...
I just found some Gits on Amazon, ~$5.00/EACH!
do they oil themselves for that price?

ohland

Registered
Stanard sizes, I bet.

Has anyone tried them in a 6mm hole? 6mm would be @ .236 inch.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
Stanard sizes, I bet.

Has anyone tried them in a 6mm hole? 6mm would be @ .236 inch.
Heck, I can't find 'em for a 1/4" hole.....

Djl338

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
i just bought a 10 pack from precision Matthews to replace the set that were non-functional on my import rotary table, they work and fit well in the 6mm slot. Prices was right too. They also have 8mm
PM Ball oilers

middle.road

Actively Learning...
i just bought a 10 pack from precision Matthews to replace the set that were non-functional on my import rotary table, they work and fit well in the 6mm slot. Prices was right too. They also have 8mm
PM Ball oilers
I was getting ready to order a pack for the Birmingham, then just for kicks I went out and measured the one I just popped out of the cross-slide, and it is 1/4". :(

MSD0

Registered
Just curious, what’s the best way to remove the old ball oilers? I have a couple on the cross slide of my PM1127 that need to be replaced (or cleaned out). I think they’re just pressed in.

Djl338

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I don't know if this is the ultimate and correct removal procedure . I drilled the top off, removed the ball and spring. Used a tap, maybe m5? cap screw and claw to pry out with a piece of wood under it. They popped out without any surrounding damage. Tapped in with plastic hammer

Mitch Alsup

Registered
Just curious, what’s the best way to remove the old ball oilers? I have a couple on the cross slide of my PM1127 that need to be replaced (or cleaned out). I think they’re just pressed in.
FInd a sheet metal screw or a wood screw where the outer thread diameter is just smaller than the outer ball-oiler diameter.
Screw the screw into ball-oiler, and use a wrench (or puller) to pull it out.

MSD0

Registered
FInd a sheet metal screw or a wood screw where the outer thread diameter is just smaller than the outer ball-oiler diameter.
Screw the screw into ball-oiler, and use a wrench (or puller) to pull it out.
Thanks, I’ll give it a shot.

MSD0

Registered
I don't know if this is the ultimate and correct removal procedure . I drilled the top off, removed the ball and spring. Used a tap, maybe m5? cap screw and claw to pry out with a piece of wood under it. They popped out without any surrounding damage. Tapped in with plastic hammer
Thanks

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Screw in a sheet metal screw and then pull the oiler out. A pry bar or similar works well.

pstemari

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Looks like McMaster only has the lidded type in 6mm.

Last edited:
[6]
[5] [7]