Replacement index dials?

Mwray

Registered
Registered
I’m working on cleaning up a new to me Bridgeport and the index dials on the machine are getting harder to read. I was wondering where do I get replacement ones that have not been polished down and easier to see. I also don’t know what they are really called that’s just my guess.

Welcome to HM! Just my opinion but if you plan to use the mill much, these new digital readouts can be had quite inexpensively
and are a huge improvement in accuracy and time saving as well. If you want to stay with dials, on You Tube is a video by
"That Lazy Machinist" that shows exactly how to refurbish your existing dials. Congratulations on the Bridgeport.

Welcome to HM Mwary. If you are just looking to replace them (dials) here is where I go for my Bridgeport parts.

http://www.machinerypartsdepot.com/product/1169

And as Cathead mentioned, a less expensive route would be to refurb them yourself, it is quite easy to do unless the numbers are wore down to nothing. First take and clean the dials thoroughly of all dirt and grease. Then mask everything except the number ring. Then, use a dark color, I like black and paint the numbers and graduations. Once the paint is completely dry, take some fine sand paper and sand off all the paint. Then just remove the masking tape and you are ready to go. The black paint will remain in the numbers and graduations and provide a nice fresh look, good as new.

I’ve already paint filled them but one has obviously been worked several times. I have also looked at a new DRO briefly but the price scared me off. The mill came with an XY DRO on it but the box doesn’t work anymore. So where is the place to be shopping for them

I’ve already paint filled them but one has obviously been worked several times. I have also looked at a new DRO briefly but the price scared me off. The mill came with an XY DRO on it but the box doesn’t work anymore. So where is the place to be shopping for them

Did you click on my link in the previous post?

In answer to your question, they are called graduated dials; If you have a dividing head, you could make new ones yourself.

I made a new dial for the down feed on the shaper. Thought I'd try cold bluing it then polish off the body. Worked great, the bluing should last forever in the recesses. The piece of mystery metal I used was harder than, well you know. That was as deep as I could get the numbers to

IMG_1934.jpg

A similar job I did was linear dividing; I made some hook type blacksmith's rules; it is done by gearing the spindle of the dividing head to the feed screw of the milling machine; 10 turns of the index crank equals 1/16". the cutting of the grads is done with a stationery tool with the saddle feed; it is illustrated in Brown & Sharp's book "A practical Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines"

Tell me, what do you see on the readout screen? Just because it isn't working does not mean it is a lost cause.

Tell me, what do you see on the readout screen? Just because it isn't working does not mean it is a lost cause.

It’s getting power but nothing lights up at all

Back