Replacement Shop Vac Parts

GreatOldOne

R'lyeh Engineering Works
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My shop vac has a small diameter hose. As such, it tends to get clogged on a regular basis... So as we're all in lock down I've started noodling on Fusion 360 and came up with some new parts to allow me to fit a much bigger 50mm (2" near as dammit) to the Vac.

Not printed out as yet, as I'm waiting the post man to deliver the new hose for it - and I need that to measure the pitch and size of the reinforcing ribs that spiral down it. One thing I did find out is that an M68x5 thread (that's what the shop vac screw on connector is) is non standard - so I had to modify the thread files in fusion 360 to allow that size, according to the instructions here:

I shall update my progress as and when I print it out and get it all fitted.

Great idea.
..and thanks for that "custom threads" link.
-brino

All printed, fitted and working. I increased the thread size on the Vac barrel attachment by .5mm to make an easier fit.

IMG_0911.jpeg
IMG_0912.jpeg
IMG_0913.jpeg
IMG_0905.jpeg
IMG_0898.jpeg
IMG_0907.jpeg
IMG_0910.jpeg
Vacuum Adaptor MK2.png
Vaccum Cuff and Tools 1.png
Vaccum Cuff and Tools 2.png

All files and STEP files are on the Thingiverse link. I'm also thinking about making a special tool for cleaning out t-slots after getting the idea from @jwmelvin:

Of course my angled narrow crevice tool is slightly too wide to fit down inside my 14mm slots. D'oh! :)

Last edited:
Great job. I've made/printed a number of vacuum adapters for fittings on a few tools including my sandblast cabinet. Nice to be able to make a part that's not only unique to your needs but nearly impossible to find elsewhere.

I’m going to need more filament at this rate. Printed a hanging eye for the hose and modelled and printed my take on a t-slot tool. Also rigged somewhere to store all these new parts.
161850E4-A6AC-430E-B22B-D45CC3D7AFD5.jpeg
6BA8F30F-DA2D-4A51-9242-87B49071E8F3.jpeg
E5AB342A-8992-4C70-83E1-1CEC788DAB6D.jpeg

Very cool guys!!!
I have been 3D printing for a while now. Mostly for my large scale RC helicopters but a year or so ago i started printing adapters for my vacuum systems in my woodworking shop. Have a Rikon belt/disk sander that I made adapters for to combine both the disk and belt ports into one for attaching to my shop vac. Last week I printed adapters for my biscuit joiner and power hand planer. No pics though.

So the missus saw my fancy new vac tools and demanded her own. :)

Our kitchen heater has a grill with very narrow slots on it, and no way or removing it from the heater itself. Always getting fluff and stuff in there - and always a pain to clean out - until now!

Hey,
By the way, If you come across an old swimming pool hose, they make great vacuum hoses.
Al.

Vacuum hose part which might have use for you machinists who like to vacuum swarf: Thingaverse link

Specific for Ridgid hoses, but might be an idea you guys can use.

Last edited:
Back