Replacing Bearings from Feed Drive on 22L. How do I remove this plug from the back of the knee?

JRock1000

Registered
Registered
I'm Replacing the Bearings from the Feed Drive on 22L. How do I remove this plug from the back of the knee?
Apparently the main shaft with the Cam (the one you see in the photo) needs a bearing replaced as well (it was a Federal 1205, I believe it's comparable to a 6205),
BUT, that's not why I pulled the knee. The shaft that drives the Main Feed pinion needs a bearing replaced as well, but it's behind the plug to the Left.
How can I get that out? There's no screws, but it's obviously a plug. Kinda soft. I could dent it if I hammered on it (prefer not to until I know what's going on with it though).
Behind it sits the Main Feed Drive Bevel Gear and Pinion. The pinion can be seen peeking out from behind the main shaft in the second photo.
Anybody have experience with it (or something similar)?
Thanks!
P1080786_1.jpg
P1080791_1.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps drill and tap it and use a puller. Does it feel thin when you tap on it?

I have removed these in the past. I took a small very sharp center punch and punched a small hole in the center of the plug. Screwed in a sheet metal screw and pulled it out with a slide hammer. To reinstall I approximated the crown or dome of the plug on the anvil, brazed up the screw hole and reinstalled it with a couple of taps with a dead blow hammer.

Looks like a standard engine soft plug. Available at your local auto parts. As said above, drill a hole and pull out with a slide hammer or pry out with a screwdriver.

You might, after taking out the screws, be able to tap against one of the holes with a soft piece of material and get the plug to rotate and loosen, then pry with a thin blade

Soft Plug! Learn something new everyday :) Looks like there's a little logo on it, even.
Wasn't planning on the shaft being there though :dejected: Now I gotta figure out how to pull out that Feed Drive assembly, so I can replace the Bearing for the pinion.
P1080795_1.jpg
P1080799_1.jpg

Back