Replacing Spindle Bearings on the 100-1525 Series Enco Mill

GT Mills

Mohawk Aero
Registered
I changed out the spindle bearings on my ENCO 1500 series turret mill yesterday, and did a how-to slide video since any literature at all is very hard to find, and what I did find was so basic that it was all but useless. I did muck about and figure things out, by now I've removed the quill 4 times so I have it down pat and can do the entire bearing replacement in under two hours, start to finish.

Click the link: Replacing the Spindle Bearings on an ENCO Mill, by GT Mills

If the link doesn't work for you, copy and paste this in your bowser browser:

That's really my name, GT Mills.

Really.

The "T" stands for Howard.

No, that's a joke, son. Laugh - ah said laugh, boy! (It stands for Taylor.)

When replacing the quill in the housing that I tried three different positions for the splines fitting into the drive pulley before I got a fit that was provided fairly free for quill travel from top to bottom, no real binding and minimal drag at the very top. I have read other posts on here of guys banging their heads against the wall trying to figure out how to reduce binding at the top and/or bottom of the quill travel, and hit upon this idea which turned out to work very well in my case.

Hope this helps someone out! Before you get started, you'll need a bearing press, you get a 12-ton for only $125 from Harbor freight (right now they are on sale for $79.00 with a store coupon) and that is less than the cost of a single bearing for the mill! I found name-brand ABEC 7 bearings on eBay, a pair of 7008 angular contact lower bearings for $150, and the single 6202 deep groove top bearing for another $150. I figure $300 for the lot is pretty darn good, eh? Although the manufacturer specs ABEC5 for the top bearing, I went with ABEC7 since it was nearly the same price and there were many more choices for it on eBay.

Great info GT. Thank you for posting. :encourage:

Good tip about trying different positions for the splines- there's a sweet spot
Mark

Looks like James bonds little nelly I think that's her name. I have the same mill I think without full view it's hard to tell. But mines older darker and made in Taiwan .

Back