Replacing the broken bearings in my pm1440gs headstock

What did you do to finally get the plug out?

Which bearing do you think took the dump?

If TDA helps you get that out, please share here what you did.

Thanks, Herb

Die grinder drilling holes and slowly removing pieces. It was slow. The bearing on the pulley side had all the metal chips in it. Now they are both toast.
If I find out how to fix, I'll post it here.

TDA, I left you a message

Good job on the plug. Gotta do what yah gotta do! You can easily make that. Remember bearing are getting replaced but be careful with that shaft. Sure u know that.
Disassemble to me looks like the shaft has to go in the direction of the smaller gearside first. Meaning take you slide hammer with the correct thread that goes in end of shaft. Get a grade 8 bolt or better. Make sure the bore where the cap was is smooth no burrs for the bearing to get hung up on. Acouple slides of the hammer should get the Assy moving. Having someone on the other end with a brass punch on the shaft as your doing the slide hammer might help if being stubborn. Make sure gears are messing when moving shaft so no binding there.
Once first side is hanging out of headstock you can use a 3jaw puller on pull off bearing. Bearing in headstock on other side can be driven out with a punch or use a expanding arbor on slide hammer in ID of bearing and pull out.
Install will talk once you get there tricky to do without hammer bearing but can be done using clamps and bushing drivers or spacers.

Thanks Cadillac. I have some cleanup to on the bore, pulling the plate out was a bit rough on it.
I'm waiting on a mcmaster delivery for this pulling the shaft.

I get it that everyone's first impression of me and what I am doing is I'm a hack. I tried to go into this thing with all the info I needed, I asked a few people that had done similiar on other gearhead lathes, I asked the distributor for the machine and I asked here. If I had known the plate was in the 3/8" thick area, I would have approached this differently.

I thank those that have offered me honest well intended advice and encouragement, and for those who enjoy kicking a man when he is down, I have no opinion to express for you.

Contrary to what you may think, all of us were trying to be helpful. Well, I suppose I should speak for myself and say that I don't think you're a hack in any way whatsoever. Problems like this happen to all of us at some point and I'm glad you're making some progress. Please don't give up on the forum; I've seen the guys bend over backwards to help all who ask and they will continue to try to help you if you let them.

Dont worry about me mark, I'm covered by the precision Matthew's "Best in the industry, 3 year warranty"! Cant understand why they dont make it easier for potential customers to read it before they make their purchase lol!

On a more serious note, because of a couple people here on the forums, I have a chance of fixing this thing. I have phone contact and emails with a forum member who is a retired machinist/rebuilder who along with members here are walking me thru the steps involved. I'm a long ways from being out of the woods on this, but at least now there is a glimmer of hope...

PM usually does a good job with after-sale support. If I wanted to buy an asian machine I would buy it from them

If it does not have anything major wrong with it, you will do fine.
They answered my emails for support, we walked through troubleshooting, we came to a conclusion. They told me the parts were cheap for me to buy, they told me it was a simple matter of a slap hammer. They offered no procedures for me to follow, they told me the parts numbers were in the manual (they are not). If that is support to you, than yes, they offered me support. While I never expected them to fix my machine, I was expecting more than what I got. With upgrades this machine cost in excess of 6000.00 dollars. Again I know I was going to do the work, and for parts in the price range of these bearings I was not expecting them to pay ( dont get me wrong, I would have loved to hear, "hey, we have that bearing in stock, we will send 1 out to you"...
Sales support is different than, your machine is down, you are still under warranty, how can we help?

Would I buy from pm again? They are still on this list, grizzly moved up to number 1 for any Asian machine, I'd rather deal with a larger company with resources and support. They all have their problems, we've all heard the horror stories, but burn me once, shame on you...
Hopefully I move past this, even if it comes to selling off the parts and scraping the rest I'm moving on from the discussion. I either have a working machine at the end of this or a new piece of floor real estate for cnc machines.

PM usually does a good job with after-sale support. If I wanted to buy an asian machine I would buy it from them
Sorry if that rant sounds like it is directed at you, it's something that's been on my chest for the last few days. You just allowed me the oppurtunity to vent... sorry. I've had some lingering issues with this machine since the beginning.

Back