Replacing the broken bearings in my pm1440gs headstock

Thanks Cadillac. Screw in center hole finally broke. I dont want to drill in that area because the shaft is right behind it. Did the center punch thing. Cant get the plate to travel out. Going to try a couple more things tomorrow. I decided to stop before the frustration level got too high. Probably try tapping holes on opposing sides and use a different pulling method. The bearing puller was not enough.
I've done more stubborn jobs, wish it weren't my lathe though. No amount of effort will make it turn in the opening. Tomorrow is another day.

Hey Rich, you have an essentially new lathe that is still under warranty. It seems to me that PM would be able to walk you through this process instead of having you guess or damage something. I think I would call to speak to a tech and have them explain the disassembly process in detail instead of trying it on your own. If you damage the lathe then its on you; if they gave you a specific procedure to follow and you damage the lathe doing that then its on them. Sorry you're having issues but even sorrier that PM is not giving you the support you deserve.

A few people here have made assumptions that are not correct. A spoke to pm and texted them and had conversations. Read the " best in industry 3 year warranty" they offer no more than parts, at there discretion. I asked about a procedure to follow for fixing this, they had nothing. I put this info in a previous message.
I went to my last resort, here. I have made some errors, the screw breaking off in the plate. Now it's my problem. I'll deal with it.
Thanks for the support, and help. I'll deal with this myself.

Drill holes in a line then use a die grinder to split the cover in 2/3 pieces? Or do you intend to try to save the cover?

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Looking at post 9 and 13, it seems you did move it, but it’s now in the hole unevenly. Look at the photos and the bottom of the disc is in further than it was at the start. I would be tempted to tap that top in and get the disc even.

Remove that broken bolt.

Buy a grade 8 or better bolt to go in the hole, but before you put the bolt in, put a circular disc that is larger than the the disc you are trying to get out. Make sure you have tapped four evenly spaced holes around the perimeter of the new disc. You will use these as jack screws to evenly pull that disc out. If it is cocked liked it is now you will play hell trying to get it out.

Last edited:
The nice thing about jack screws is that you can evenly pull that sucker out. Screwing each one just a bit at a time will get that disc to pull out very evenly......

Firstgear, I appreciate the input. We are well beyond the tapping and pulling method lol sorry. The plate is only out of stew by a couple thousandths. I was taking regular measurements all throughout the pulling process.
This plate is at least 3/8" thick. That I am thankful for, I thought I might have gouged the shaft, making this repair a living nightmare.
Benws post is closer to what I am doing, carbide bit in a die grinder and slowly just milling the plug out, most of the milling is down around .28". I still left enough on the sides so I am not gauging the opening. It will take some time, but eventually it will be thin enough to pull out.

I get it that everyone's first impression of me and what I am doing is I'm a hack. I tried to go into this thing with all the info I needed, I asked a few people that had done similiar on other gearhead lathes, I asked the distributor for the machine and I asked here. If I had known the plate was in the 3/8" thick area, I would have approached this differently.

I thank those that have offered me honest well intended advice and encouragement, and for those who enjoy kicking a man when he is down, I have no opinion to express for you.

I have had my challenges just like you are having....I usually walk away thinking about it for a day or two when I am not so frustrated, then I come back to tackle the job. I had a very frustrating experience putting together a 1960 Corvette top. I had found a way to slip my screwdriver not once, but twice onto the back plexiglass window. I needed up becoming very good at fixing that, but I often come in the house when frustration is running high....I think better once the frustration has subsided.

You will overcome this, just take a deep breath and walk away when needed.....

Ok. That is out. Not too sure I gained anything.
I am prepared to just send her to the scrap yard.
Anyone have any ideas how these bearings come out?
20190603_142426.jpg

20190603_142409.jpg

20190603_142358.jpg

Attachments

• 20190603_142351.jpg
    20190603_142351.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 175
Please hang on a bit, Ive done machine repair for many years. Lots of machines, lathes in particular are assembled this way. I can help you with this but I need an hour or so to wrap something up. If you want to PM me a phone number where I can call you I would be happy to do that when I am done.

Back