Replacing timken bearings and cups

agfrvf

Registered
Registered
Got my hands on a clean spindle cups and bearings.

Any sage advice on removing and installing bearing cups?

Yes it had to be done is was pretty crusty, covered in a white abrassive powder.

Puller ,punch and hammer? Depends on how much room and direction they come out. Expanding arbor puller? Use threaded rod and large washers to install races. Or correct drivers and a hammer if doable. No punches! Only press on inner race when installing bearings. Be very clean.

The preferred method, after removing the spindle, would be with a threaded or hydraulic puller consisting of a length of 5/8" or 3/4" threaded rod, coupling nuts or hollow shaft hydraulic cylinder, heavy stepped pulling washers and receiver made of mechanical tubing of the appropriate ID.

New spindle in and no visible movement on a .0001 indicator. Spining or shaking.

I repeatedly blasted the spindle and bearing with carb cleaner to take out any dust durring re-assembly.

I will note that there were copper colored dots that were on the inboard face of the cups. I marked the original orientation with a sharpie and installed new ones the same way.

Next cleaning the saddle.

Back