Repouring a Babbitt bearing headstock

After running in, i now have just shy of .002" clearance with oil drained away(after sitting idle for a few days), around .0015" with oil flowing through journals. Going well so far. That slight clearance is needed to get the "wedge action" of the oil started. Too close may result in excessive heat causing spindle/journal contact.
Clearances checked as per MOLO instructions, dial indicator perpendicular to spindle, on register behind thread, bar through hollow of spindle(take care with morse taper) push down + set zero, lift + take reading. If you don't have dial, you could do the same with a screw jack and feeler gauges, push down, wind up screw jack to touch, lift and check with feelers.

Last edited:
I have an old friend who regularly pours bearings, mostly Fords,but is willing to
do other stuff ; specials are terribly ex pensive, due to the machining costs of
Making plugs and jigs, etc. I would try porous bronze tubingwith a generous
Allowance inside and out; get a good fit outside, and set up a tough, repeatable
Boring bar holder, and nibble away until you have a fit (in both senses ) ......BLJHB.

Back