Repowering a Harbor Freight 44142 Lathe/Mill/Drill

There are two other stickers on the motor. One reads: 'No. 13206 0204105A'. The second one reads: 'Genie Co. E27607', although the E could be an F, the sticker is slightly damaged.
I should point out that a basic 48C motor would be a bit easier to mount, and an adapter plate would not be necessary. I just happened to find this particular motor. I would have far preferred to find a standard 48C frame. In fact, if I happen to fine one, I'll swap out the mill/drill motor next. I am in the process of fitting indicators to the X, Y, and Z now.

The original 3/4 horsepower rated Asian motors are rated by input. NEMA motors are rated by power output. Which is why the original Asian 3/4 horsepower 110 volt ac motor, and a NEMA 1/2 horsepower 115 volt ac motor have amperage ratings which are very similar to one another. This means that the original Asian motors on the Harbor Freight 44142 are actually motors that we would consider to be 1/2 horsepower output.

Last edited:
Tony, another question. I found a Leeson motor and am now trying to wire it up. Attached is the wiring diagram of the motor and the HF wiring diagram. Can you help me?

8ED56851-0E91-4BE2-B644-540DA806FC85.jpeg

652C09E3-7C52-48E8-876D-FC9C2112780E.jpeg

Sure. I'm just seeing this now, as I haven't been on this site for a few days, my apologies.
The way this Leeson motor should be wired is as follows:

T1 & T3 Leeson motor leads connect together, and connect to the drum switch in place of U1.
T2 & T4 Leeson motor leads connect together, and connect to the drum switch in place of U2.
T8 Leeson motor lead is connected to the drum switch in place of V1.
T5 Leeson motor lead is connected to the drum switch in place of V2.

You could use the original motor lead coming from the machine and make your connections at the motor if you preferred. That would likely be the easiest method, however in my case, I opted to replace everything back to the switch.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back